none
Data Protection Manager 2012 Beta Client - Recovery RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a problem with Recovering Data with DPM Client.
    My problem is:
    Synchronization succeed.
    Recovery point succeed 2.
    But when i try to go to the tab "Recovery" on the Data Protection Manager Client (for 2012 Beta) to recover or see what i have recovered it show me the next error:

DPM found no recovery points which you are autorized to restore on the specified DPM server. You can restore only those recovery points for which you were an administrator at the time the backup was taken. To restore other recovery points, contact yout DPM administrator, or attempt to restore from another DPM.

But i have done sync. by the same user and i see Protected items that i have selected the only thing that doesnt work is Recovery.

Can you help me with that? i have searched on the net but could not find anything about 2012.

• Moved by Larry Yin Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:34 PM (From:DPM 2012 Beta - Locked)
    Monday, January 16, 2012 3:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi everyone,

I figured out the problem but i have a second question about it and hope to recive sum answers from modinators or people that know more about it.

1. It didn't work with Microsoft Windows XP but it did work with Microsoft Windows 7.
    What i have done is put the Domain user in the Local Admins (on the workstation that i want to protect) and after that i have started the "synschronization" and after that i went to the DPM Manager and made a "Recovery Point" and went back again to the Windows 7 workstation and clicked on the tab "Recovery" and searched for recovery and saw all recovery for all users and i was able only to explore my own map.

2. My new question:

If i make my user a local admin than i'm not securing anything, becouse i dont want my users to be local admins their accounts are limited, this is not secure, every IT doesn't want to make his/her users local admins so is there is a other way to make my users be able to recover them documents and files?

• Marked as answer by Amro_ Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:40 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Amro_ Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:41 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:29 PM
  • It sounds like you are attempting end-user recovery.  Have you followed these instructions?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399694.aspx

Rob
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:54 PM
  • I haven't played with this yet in 2012, but I'm guessing we still require a minor registry setting to get thsi to do what you want.  Check out this blog post that Mike R wrote.  It should get it working for you.  Let us know if this doesn't work in 2012.

http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm/archive/2011/03/11/getting-the-non-administrator-client-recovery-working-in-dpm-2010.aspx

Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:38 AM
  • Hi Chris,

Ok i will try the blog post that Mike R wrote and if it work i'll let you know.
    Thank you for your answer.

My regards,

Amro

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Hi Rob,

The end-user recovery works fine but the problem is i dont want to make my domain users local admins.
    I want to let my domain users select the back-up directory, back-up files and folders, and see what they recovered and if necessary recover them files 2.

Thanks for the replay.

My regards,

Amro

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:59 AM
  • Hi Chris,

I have tried the blog post and it worked! Thank you very much!

I now have a other question is it possible to put a Group in place of users for example domain\group? becouse what if the company have more than 2000 users and you make the register you have to update the register every time that a new employee comes.

My regards,

Amro

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:14 AM