none
MDT Wizard very slow to start when launching Litetouch.vbs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

For a few months, I have an issue when launching Litetouch.vbs, the Wizard initialisation il very slow. Normaly it takes 20 to 30 seconds to launch, now it takes about 4 minutes. The wizard hang 3 times for 1.5 minute. The problem is present on many computers here and even on a brand new installed computer.

Something strange, when the Wizard have been launched a first time, then closed. The next time I launch Litetouch.vbs, I is fast (20 to 30 seconds).

When I check the LOG : C:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS\BDD.log, the lines that seems to hang are :

<![LOG[Property definition is now = BDD_Welcome_ENU.xml]LOG]!>

<![LOG[Property definition is now = WelcomeWiz_Initialize.xml]LOG]!>

<![LOG[Property definition is now = DeployWiz_Definition_ENU.xml]LOG]!>

Does anyone have an idea what can be the problem ?

Thanks!

Dominic

Friday, September 5, 2014 6:32 PM

All replies

• What version are you running of MDT?  Do you have a database setup?  And what are you trying to do deploy or capture an image?
    Friday, September 5, 2014 8:32 PM
  • I'm on MDT 2013, with no database. We are using Litetouch.vbs in Windows environment to run tasks like : install applications, save state and restore state.

Thanks

Dominic

Friday, September 5, 2014 8:38 PM
  • The only time I have seen this is when you are running on a machine that has been encrypted with some kind of 3rd party encryption software. MDT is enumerating though all the local drives, however it's getting hung at the encrypted drive, so it has to wait while it times out. MDT will do that *every* time it writes a line to the log file.

I don't recommend 3rd party encryption software.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Sunday, September 7, 2014 11:52 PM
  • Ok. We have no encryption software installed on our computers.

Thanks.

Dominic

Monday, September 8, 2014 12:49 PM
  • Just curious but did try mapping the share with an admin account and then running the script?
    Monday, September 8, 2014 1:26 PM
  • The lines that are running slow above are when MDT is trying to write to the variables.dat file. There is nothing special about this operation, it's just reading/writing to a text file.

I still think there is something else on this machine that is causing the litetouch.wsf scripts to run slowly. Perhaps you have some anti-virus programs causing problems.

Best way to isolate the problem is to load a clean version of windows on a machine (without any corporate apps), and try running MDT litetouch again.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, September 8, 2014 4:09 PM
  • When I run LiteTouch.vbs the account used is already Admin.

I'll give it a try Keith. We have McAfee anti-virus that maybe could cause problem, but we have McAfee for many years already. I'll try a brand new installation and give you some feedback.

Thanks

Dominic

Monday, September 8, 2014 8:15 PM
  • I found the problem !

I'm using a batch file to launch Litetouch.vbs as domain admin :
    runas /env /user:medecine\MDTadmin "cscript \\myserver\deploymentshare$\Scripts\LiteTouch.vbs"

I modified the runas command to add /noprofile switch :
    runas /noprofile /env /user:medecine\MDTadmin "cscript \\myserver\deploymentshare$\Scripts\LiteTouch.vbs"

And now all is really fast. Because when executing my batch file for the first time, the user profile "MDTadmin" had to be created. That's why the second time launching was fast...

Thanks to all!
    Dominic

• Proposed as answer by Jeff Longley Wednesday, September 10, 2014 12:46 PM
    Tuesday, September 9, 2014 2:42 PM