BSOD 0x07b with IDE set and BSOD 0x07f with AHCI set in BIOS..... What gives? RRS feed

• Question

• Running Windows XP SP3 on a HP Elitebook 8740w Laptops in a Medical Setting.

Machines try to boot in to XP and I get  BSOD 0x07b with IDE set and BSOD 0x07f with AHCI set in BIOS.....

Lately we have had a rash of blue screens.  All hdds come back clean.  No issues hardware wise.  This is getting to be an epidemic and I need a solution quickly. 

Did all the obvious, ran Symantec, fix MBR, chkdsk....

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:24 PM

All replies

• Drivers.  You probably don't have the correct MB or controller card drivers installed.

Also, check your memory.  Download Memtes86+, make bootable CD, and check memory.  Bad or faulty memory is the cause of a lot of BSOD issues.

• Edited by DarienHawk67 Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:25 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:24 AM
  • Please repost your inquiry to the HP notebook experts who frequent the HP Notebook Operating Systems and Software Forum.  Please review: General XP Downgrade Guide for HP Laptops.

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:49 AM
  • @

kremkake

This might be a settings issue in BIOS. Please change the settings from SATA to AHCI Or AHCI To SATA. Its should be under integrated controllers in BIOS. 

Thanks, Venkatesh. "Hardwork Never Fails"

• Edited by imvenkat Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:57 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:56 AM
  • So, I did change the bios.....   "BSOD 0x07b with IDE set and BSOD 0x07f with AHCI set in BIOS"

If I reimage with an older image, it is fine until I run Windows Updates and it crashes again.  I am trying to figure out which update is crashing it.  Anyone know?  Is there a recent update that effects this?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:00 PM