locked
SharePoint server 2013 - July 2017 Uber Update - After run exe file, SharePoint sites no longer work RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi All

    This is my first try on our SharePoint test farm and run into this issue.  

    I download all July, 2017 Uber files for SharePoint server 2013.

    I ran this ubersrv2013-kb3213569-fullfile-x64-glb.exe as administrator.  the file was unzip and completed successful.

    I have not run SharePoint configuration wizard yet and just want to check if SharePoint sites are up.  But when I checked all the sites are not working (can't browse) anymore and got a "Sorry something went wrong" and a correlation ID.  Only Central Administration site is come up OK.

    I checked ULS log for correlation ID and got this error and nothing else indication

    System.Web.HttpException: The DataSourceID of 'TopNavigationMenu' must be the ID of a control of type IHierarchicalDataSource.  A control with ID 'topSiteMap' could not be found.

    I like to know if this is expected and I will need to continue with running configuration wizard or this is an issue and I need to resolve it before running configuration wizard.

    Thanks for your advice or comment


    Swanl

    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:37 PM

Answers

  • Hi,

    There are multiple reasons could cause this issue. Is there any customization in the site?

    One possible reason is the issue with loading some of the dlls from SafeControl zone in web.config.

    Try recycling the app pool that host the web application and restarting the site from IIS Manager, compare the results.

    If it does not work, please check more error message in the ULS log.

    Note: Be aware that July 2017 CU for SharePoint 2013 require SharePoint Server 2013 SP1 to be installed first.

    Here is a blog about how to install and deploy update for SharePoint server step by step for your reference:

    https://vigneshsharepointthoughts.com/2016/11/14/patching-a-sharepoint-2013-farm-step-by-step-installation-guide/

    Best Regards,

    Linda Zhang


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.


    Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

    • Marked as answer by swanl98 Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:16 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 9:21 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    There are multiple reasons could cause this issue. Is there any customization in the site?

    One possible reason is the issue with loading some of the dlls from SafeControl zone in web.config.

    Try recycling the app pool that host the web application and restarting the site from IIS Manager, compare the results.

    If it does not work, please check more error message in the ULS log.

    Note: Be aware that July 2017 CU for SharePoint 2013 require SharePoint Server 2013 SP1 to be installed first.

    Here is a blog about how to install and deploy update for SharePoint server step by step for your reference:

    https://vigneshsharepointthoughts.com/2016/11/14/patching-a-sharepoint-2013-farm-step-by-step-installation-guide/

    Best Regards,

    Linda Zhang


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.


    Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

    • Marked as answer by swanl98 Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:16 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 9:21 AM
  • Hi

    Thanks for your advice. 

    I have tried the following and still see the same issue (error)

    • Recycled all IIS application pools
    • restart servers
    • I tried to restored a few previous backup copy of web.config

    My question at this point is should I run SharePoint configuration wizard.

    Thanks


    Swanl

    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 4:44 PM
  • Hi

    As your suggested, by turning on full logging that give me more detail error log and I got this resolved. 

    yes,  the log indicated a vendor SharePoint solution could not load file or assembly and referenced to the web.config in the web application.

    After removed the entry in web.config and IISreset,  SharePoint sites now came up nicely.

    My mistake, before running ubersrv2013-kb3213569-fullfile-x64-glb.exe,  I did some clean up and retract and remove a vendor solutions that we no longer used and license had expired.  retracted and removed the solution was successfully but I did not realized that I need to manually go into web.config and remove the reference entry.

    So look to me the issue was with the web.config and have nothing to do with running ubersrv2013-kb3213569-fullfile-x64-glb.exe.

    Thanks


    Swanl

    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:15 PM