Bar Chart question RRS feed

• Question

• This is probably a total newbie question, but here's the situation:

I just created our companies first prototype cube, and one of the infos we wanted to display was the breakdown of number of phone calls (our measure) to the calling code (a dimension with over 60 or so members)

Needless to say, the bar chart that is generated is a little crowded. So I try to play around with the font size, etc, but to no avail in making the stupid thing more readable. Basically, the bars are too close together, and there seems to be a forced "space" in front of the first bar, eating up precious room that I could have use to allow the bars some more space in between with.

then just on a lark, I did Pivot and suddenly, the bars are not all bundled together anymore and the space in front of the bar disappeared. The problem is the sort that I did prior with the measure was ALSO gone as well as the color coded bars and legends, which means that while now the bars themselves are easier to read, I just lost the identifying info from the other chart, trading one set of readability issues for another.

so there somewhere where I can try to change this behavior?
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Elliott,

What I can understand is you have problem viewing the bar chart as it is too crowded. While Pivoting you have changed Rows to Column and Column to Rows. In bar chart grouping is done on Column item. If you keep one more measure in the column apart from your phone call measure, your Dimention items will be grouped within these two measures.

To make it more readable what i would suggest is, pass a filter value in the background depending on you requirement. In that way your query will return fewer number of dimention items and the chart wont be that crowded.

Else, you can also try using Top 10, Top 20 kinda of report which will sort your result in decending order.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Swapnil
    I am what I am...
    • Edited by Swapnil Sahu Friday, November 27, 2009 5:33 AM spelling mistake
    Friday, November 27, 2009 5:33 AM
  • Unfortunately the ProClarity UI does not allow you to sort on Columns.  The underlying object model supports it but they never added the capability to the UI.  One way you can kind of get around this would be to create a Named Set for your Calling Codes that orders the members the way you want.  You can then just select the Named Set.  It's not a great solution but it might work. 

In earlier version of the ProClarity product, they used to have a check box to allow you to remove or decrease the space in front of the first bar.  Unfortunately, when they upgraded the charting component, they seem to have removed the check box.

Good Luck!

-Jason
    Monday, December 7, 2009 6:16 PM