Windows 8.1 randomly freezing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have upgraded my Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 when it was released.

Since the upgrade, my computer randomly but frequently freezes. I'm still able to move the mouse pointer, pressing "shift lock/num lock" still have reaction on the keyboard leds, I can ear that something still happens behind the freeze (for example, if I try to click on an Excel sheet that is protected, I can ear the error sound) but nothing more. It's a bit like if explorer.exe fails. CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't react.

As my Windows 8 was already an upgrade from Windows 7, I made a new installation of Windows 8 Pro from scratch and then upgrade to Windows 8.1. But the problem is still the same. I didn't had the problem under Windows 8.

My motherboard is an ASUS P7P55D Deluxe with Intel I5 CPU and 8Gb memory.

Does any one of you have an idea of the problem because this is really annoying, not possible to use the computer and ready to have my "old" Win7 back from its box :-)

Thanks

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:18 PM

Answers

• It could be a driver problem.

Monitor the processes in the Task Manager.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:11 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with T.kujala, generally speaking, this problem often caused by driver compatibility problem.

You can check Event Log, verifying is there any error message of it.

Please check and upgrade your BIOS and motherboard driver to be latest for test.

Be warned:  Flashing BIOS is a risky process.  If power is interrupted during the update your machine will be rendered unusable.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, October 27, 2013 8:27 AM

All replies

• It could be a driver problem.

Monitor the processes in the Task Manager.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:11 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with T.kujala, generally speaking, this problem often caused by driver compatibility problem.

You can check Event Log, verifying is there any error message of it.

Please check and upgrade your BIOS and motherboard driver to be latest for test.

Be warned:  Flashing BIOS is a risky process.  If power is interrupted during the update your machine will be rendered unusable.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, October 27, 2013 8:27 AM