Compatibility, running and contacts backup problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hey there, 

My old HDD's boot sectors were damaged so I can't boot its Windows 7 32bit anymore, not even repair available. I already switched to a new SSD, installed Windows 10 x64 on it, and imported most of my old Outlook 2010 (or 2007 I don't remember) data via the available .PST files from the old HDD. My headache is that I can't get my Address Book back since there was no backup made. I already imported the contacts from the old Windows 7's contacts folder, but it seems the old Outlook used different sources for adresses as I still miss a lot of contacts.

I wans't able to recover them from the file system as I didn't find them anywhere, so the only solution I could think of out of my head is to start the old Outlook program somehow and backup the contacts to a .CSV -- but the old outlook (on the HDD) doesn't start up. I think this is because it was a 32 bit windows 7 and the new system where I want to start it is a 64 bit win10.

Do you have any idea how can I solve this problem and retrieve my old contacts used by the old Outlook?

Thanks in advance,

Valentin

• Moved by Perry-Pan Thursday, October 4, 2018 5:59 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 11:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Valentin,

What's your account type? Exchange, POP or IMAP?

Outlook can only show contacts from your Contacts folder(s) in the Address Book. Are the contacts in your Contacts folder? You can switch to the Contacts Navigation to have a check.

If the folder is there and holds your contacts, the Contacts folder may not be marked as an Outlook Address Book. To do this, please right click the Contacts folder and choose Properties. Under tab Outlook Address Book, select option Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book.

>> My headache is that I can't get my Address Book back since there was no backup made.

The Outlook Address Book itself cannot be backed up. The Address Book in Outlook is nothing more but a container for address lists and does not hold any addresses itself.

One link for your reference: https://www.msoutlook.info/question/826

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, October 4, 2018 5:51 AM
  • The account type is POP.

The old Outlook on the damaged HDD does have an Address book I always used the Outlook's address book to select participants when I wrote emails. I'd like to retrieve the massive amount of contacts I saved over the years but I don't know how, since I can't run the old 32 bit outlook on the new win10 64 bit.

Yesterday, I took the old HDD to my friend who runs a windows 7 32 bit. His Win7 gives my HDD drive letter D. From his PC I finally managed to run my old Outlook. My goal was to open up the program and Export my old contacts folder from the HDD by using Oultook's Export menu --> CSV (Comma Separated Values).

It was successful, but the contacts list I was able export wasn't mine but my friend's list. So it seems the old outlook ran from drive D still uses drive C's Contacts folder instead of his own drive's one (D).

I don't really understand what type of contacts folder you mean and where should I look for it. Is it the one I see in Windows Explorer at C:\Users\AccountName\Contacts? If so, I don't have that option to "show this folder as an email address book."

It would be unequivocal to simply copy the C:\Users\AccountName\Contacts from the old HDD to my new system but unfortunately it holds only a portion of my contacts -- and I still don't know how to retrieve the rest, where does the old Outlook store them.

• Edited by Voxxel Thursday, October 4, 2018 11:38 AM typo
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 11:26 AM
  • Hi,

>> I don't really understand what type of contacts folder you mean and where should I look for it.

I mean the folders in Contacts module. Please check if all your original contact folders show correctly in Outlook after importing the PST file. You could check following screenshot to find the option "show this folder as an email address book".

For POP account, contacts are saved in your account PST files. They are not saved in this folder(C:/Users/AccountName/Contacts).

Besides, which PST files were imported to Outlook client? Backup PST file or account data file? We could see the location of your account data file via File > Account Settings > Account Settings > Data file tab.

We can find your original account data file and then import it to your Outlook client.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, November 5, 2018 8:10 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2018 9:19 AM