none
After reboot DPM can see volume, but reports no recovery points. How to re-enable them. RRS feed

• Question

• So I have a problem with Recovery points of a server. DPM was rebooted for updates yesterday and acted kinda weird, had to re scan the disk containing all data for DPM to see all the volumes again. After that I discovered that one server was failing in telling recovery points.

I then removed the server from protection and after that re-entered it into protection, in hopes that it would recover the recovery points. It shows the disk and how much is used on it, but still no date for last nor oldest recovery point, neither count on how many there is.

The funny thing is that now after the re-initiation into a protection group the replica is reported to be inconsistent, and when I try to do a consistency check it tells me the volume is offline. Disk manager reports it to be healthy. This is the only volume that have this problem and that is among 100 other volumes. 

Been searching forums for an answer on how to recover the data, but haven't had any luck so far. Maybe someone in here have an answer on how to fix it. 

Please feel free to ask additional questions, if my information isn't enough. Really need some help, this issue.  

UPDATE:

Forgot to put in the options I have.

Recommended action:

1) If your recovery point volume is offline, bring it online and then run consistency check for the affected data sources. 
    2) If your recovery point volume is not available to bring online, remove the affected members from protection and re-protect them. When stopping protection for the affected members, select the option to delete the replica on disk.

I don't like option 2, and option 1 is not the case, because I can see the disk/volume in disk mgr and it says healthy.

Found another post with one having the same problem, and someone replied with a suggestion. Followed the suggestion but that didn't bring back the recovery points. The post was DPM 2007: The recovery point volume is not available?, but I guess it doesn't work on DPM 2012.

Monday, October 29, 2012 2:51 PM

Answers

• I re-experienced this situation myself and recovered as follows:

a. select each disk, one at a time, and click the re-scan button in the ribbon.
    b. wait for all disk I/O to the physical drives to settle down. (you'll notice approx 10 to 20 minutes of reading even before scanning where all the vss points are counted etc).
    c. if this goes well, all the missing volumes should come back.

d. if after all of the above you still get messages about the volume is still missing, then cut your losses, the data is gone. So remove the protected object from the protection group and choose to delete it from disk (you will see that the disk space is recovered), then add it back in again and it will  allocate disk space and start the initial sync.

• Marked as answer by Thomas Dresler Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:11 PM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 1:36 AM

All replies

• If you're being informed that the volume is offline, check your disk storage pool status.  Are all the volumes in the disk storage pool marked as online?

once this is sorted out, the consistency check should work, and most of your recovery points will come back once the consistency check is done.

Monday, November 12, 2012 2:53 AM
  • Problem is that the Storage pool went green, and all recovery points came available, except two that showed the space used but didn't show the recovery points. tried a couple of things, but no solution other than deleting them and start from scratch. I really think that MS should look into a way to access the recovery points again it the get corrupt. Because this issue is not to live with when we talk about backup of user data and servers.
    Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:00 PM
  • I re-experienced this situation myself and recovered as follows:

a. select each disk, one at a time, and click the re-scan button in the ribbon.
    b. wait for all disk I/O to the physical drives to settle down. (you'll notice approx 10 to 20 minutes of reading even before scanning where all the vss points are counted etc).
    c. if this goes well, all the missing volumes should come back.

d. if after all of the above you still get messages about the volume is still missing, then cut your losses, the data is gone. So remove the protected object from the protection group and choose to delete it from disk (you will see that the disk space is recovered), then add it back in again and it will  allocate disk space and start the initial sync.

• Marked as answer by Thomas Dresler Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:11 PM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 1:36 AM
  • Was also the procedure I followed unfortunately there were 2 out of 210 that got corrupted, if we should call it something. Cut the loses and hope that it will not happen in the near future. Was vital data on two file servers that didn't play ball. I will mark your reply as the answer because its the closest to a solution, even though its not a "good one" :) 
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:10 PM