none
DPM 2010 - Backup Problems - 3TB disk? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone, hope you can help me!!!

We have DPM 2010 running on our network.. with a 6TB disk attached.. currently in DPM it states that just under 2TB of this is unallocated.

I am trying to backup various areas/shares/system state on a particular Windows 2003 Server (64 bit) - The drive I am backing up is a 3TB disk ( is the disk to big for DPM to handle? ) however.. no matter how large or small amounts of data are selected to be backed up it reports either...

'Replica Inconsistent, verification in progress'

OR

'Replica is inconsistent'

I have set the consistency check every 15 minutes and to be automatic when the replica becomes inconsistent. I have also increased the paging file size and checked that the DPM agent is correctly installed, I've even uninstalled/reinstalled the agent and ran the 'setdpmserver.exe' to make sure any firewall settings are correct.

Is there anything I am missing or that I need to differently?

Please help!!!!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:52 AM

Answers

• Older post, but wanted to share my solution.

Was getting 2Mbps average - nto good on a LAN

Went into network adapter properties - "Configure" - Advanced tab

Changed speed from Auto to "100Mbps Half Duplex

Now getting 50Mbps average, 80Mbps in bursts - MUCH better. : )

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:05 PM

All replies

• I've just noticed this Error in the DPM Alerts log...

'The replica of D:\ on servername.domainname is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. (ID: 3106)

The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state. Either it was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during the current operation. (ID: 30111)'

OR this one..

'The used disk space on the computer running DPM for the replica of C:\ has exceeded the threshold value of 90%, or there is not enough disk space to accommodate the changed data. If you do not allocate more disk space, synchronization jobs may fail. (ID: 3100)'

Is this any indication on the problem I'm having in backing this server/drive up?

• Proposed as answer by Tipsy Schwitz Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:53 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Tipsy Schwitz Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:53 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 10:08 AM
  • From that second error referring to the disk space, it could be that the amount of space allocated to that server in the protection groups disk allocation is too small, so even if there is plenty of space available on the server it wouldn't be getting used.

I'd try increasing the space allocated to the Replica Volume for the data source you're having issues with by a reasonable amount and see if that resolves the issue for you, eg right click the Protection Group, and select Modify Disk Allocation. Personally I'd go for a fairly large increase to be on the safe side, and avoid picking a value which is still too low, but you can see more information on how the disk allocation works here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399717.aspx

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:38 AM
  • Thanks Keith

As a test... I'm just backing up one folder on one of the drives... so in total it is about 10MB of data!!! I started off as a new protection group about 4 hours ago... and its status is still saying ... 'Replica creation in progress' !!!!  How can that be if I've only told it to create a replica of data of around 10MB?!!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:02 PM
  • Hello Steven,

4 hours for 10MB of data is a long time to be sure.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795811.aspx

There are a lot of underlying components that DPM uses and if there is any weak link in the chain the DPM will fail. One of these is VSS.

1.) Do you see any VSS related errors on either the DPM server or the target server?
    2.) If you go to the target server and type "vssadmin list shadows" from a command prompt, do you see any shadows copies being created?
    3.) If you go t the DPM server and toggle off tcp chimney and\or rss does it make a difference?

To enable chimney:   netsh int tcp set global chimney=enabled
    To disable chimney:   netsh int tcp set global chimney=disabled
    To determine the current status of TCP Chimney Offload:   netsh int tcp show global

To enable RSS:    netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
    To disable RSS:     netsh int tcp set global rss=disabled
    To determine the current status of RSS, follow these steps:    netsh int tcp show global

951037 Information about the TCP Chimney Offload, Receive Side Scaling, and Network Direct Memory Access features in Windows Server 2008
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;951037

4.) On the space issue, have you thought of turning on autogrow? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399717.aspx

Thanks
    Shane

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:16 PM
  • Thanks for that Shane,

No, that doesn't seem to help unfortunately.

Can I attach a rackmount NAS into the storage pool on DPM so I can use this storage? If so how do I do it? As when I go to attach a disk there are none available to add to the pool?

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:52 PM
  • Hello Steven,

DPM can use the following for storage in the storage pool:

Direct attached storage (DAS)
         Fibre Channel storage area network (SAN)
         iSCSI storage device or SAN

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399600.aspx

Also: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399688.aspx : DPM cannot use space in any pre-existing volumes on disks added to the storage pool. Although a pre-existing volume on a storage pool disk might have free space, DPM can use space only in volumes that it creates. To make the entire disk space available to the storage pool, delete any existing volumes on the disk and then add the disk to the storage pool.

Once the disk is added, so long as it can be seen in disk management then DPM should be able to see it.  Perform a rescan in the DPM UI and see if it shows up.

On your current issue though you may want to consider a manual replica of such a large volume.  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399552.aspx
    On a small volume as far as the small datasources....dpm can't create a replica smaller than 1 gig.  either way such a slow transfer rate on a small datasource is concerning.  

It could be the following:
       VSS issues<-----The error above VSS 30111 indicate a VSS issue. This is what I'm leaning towards.  As you take the backup go to that server and from a command type: vssadmin
                                list w
    riters and note if any of the VSS writers are in a failed and\or hung state. Also type vssadmin list shadows , do you see any shadow copies being made?
                               Do you see any volsnap errors on the target server side as well?

Networking issues<------May be a culprit but probably not. Example: A firewall or router performing stateful inspection packet filtering.  You could take a netmon trace or use Oneclick  
                                           http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=6537  to look at the traffic on the wire for TCP retransmitts or WindowsSize being scaled down to "0". 

Disk issues<-----More common than what most people realize. Fragmentation, slow disk reads, slow disk writes etc.......

To troubleshoot the disk issues here are some common Perf counters and a few others commonly used to assess the DPM local performance.

Logical Disk/Physical Disk
    \%idle
    • 100% idle to 50% idle = Healthy
    • 49% idle to 20% idle = Warning or Monitor
    • 19% idle to 0% idle = Critical or Out of Spec

\%Avg. Disk Sec Read or Write
    • .001ms to .015ms  = Healthy
    • .015ms to .025 = Warning or Monitor
    • .026ms or greater = Critical or Out of Spec

Current Disk Queue Length (for all instances)
    80 requests for more than 6 minutes.
    • Indicates possibly excessive disk queue length.

Memory
    \Pool Non Paged Bytes*
    • Less that 60% of pool consumed=Healthy
    • 61% - 80% of pool consumed = Warning or Monitor.
    • Greater than 80% pool consumed = Critical or Out of Spec.

\Pool Paged Bytes*
    • Less that 60% of pool consumed=Healthy
    • 61% - 80% of pool consumed = Warning or Monitor.
    • Greater than 80% pool consumed = Critical or Out of Spec.

\Available Megabytes
    • 50% of free memory available or more =Healthy
    • 25% of free memory available = Monitor.
    • 10% of free memory available = Warning
    • Less than 100MB or 5% of free memory available = Critical or Out of Spec.

Processor
    \%Processor Time (all instances)                                                                   
    • Less than 60% consumed = Healthy
    • 51% - 90% consumed = Monitor or Caution
    91% - 100% consumed = Critical

Thanks,
    Shane

Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:50 PM
  • Older post, but wanted to share my solution.

Was getting 2Mbps average - nto good on a LAN

Went into network adapter properties - "Configure" - Advanced tab

Changed speed from Auto to "100Mbps Half Duplex

Now getting 50Mbps average, 80Mbps in bursts - MUCH better. : )

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:05 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the input.  A NIC is only as good as the driver that's written for it. Sometimes "autodetect" does not autodetect as good as it should and hard coding the settings yeilds more beneficial results. There are even times to when using an older driver version performs better than a later one. Either way, thanks again for your input as we can all learn and share the knowledge.

Shane
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 7:17 PM