What happen to the PKG files in App-V 5.0? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I know the mechanizm of App-V 5.0 is very different from its previous version and I couldn't find anything about the documentation about this section.

We have a VDI environment in our organization and App-V (4.6 SP1) is our main technology of Application Management.

in App-V 4.6 we changed the "User Data Directory" to a network location so that all the application deltas (pkg files) will be saved and used whenever the user is logged on.

in App-V 5.0 there are couple things I'm missing:

I converted App-V packages to 5.0 successfully but obviously they're loosing their PKG files which holds all the important information + setting of each app.

how do the pkg file can be converted as well to the new mechanizm which is very very different?

and second of all, assuming there's no option to do so (which can be catastrophic because we have a thousands of users and houndrands of apps), how do I setup the App-V client to save all the app deltas on network and not locally?!
    I know there's the UE-V in MDOP 2012 but I really don't want to depand on that.

thanks

Tamir Levy

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 7:31 AM

Answers

• The PKG file format no longer exists in App-V 5. User settings are stored in the following locations, which as far as I can tell, aren't configurable:

• %APPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\AppV

This gives far more transparency into where settings are stored and written to for virtual applications and should not cause the issues that PKG files have caused in the past.

There is nothing provided from Microsoft to convert PKG files; however this is where UE-V comes in - you should be able to configure UE-V to migrate user settings between App-V 4.x and 5.x packages by specifying the applications to roam settings for. This also allows you to be more granular about what is saved and thus you'll manage less data.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:06 AM

All replies

• The PKG file format no longer exists in App-V 5. User settings are stored in the following locations, which as far as I can tell, aren't configurable:

• %APPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\AppV

This gives far more transparency into where settings are stored and written to for virtual applications and should not cause the issues that PKG files have caused in the past.

There is nothing provided from Microsoft to convert PKG files; however this is where UE-V comes in - you should be able to configure UE-V to migrate user settings between App-V 4.x and 5.x packages by specifying the applications to roam settings for. This also allows you to be more granular about what is saved and thus you'll manage less data.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:06 AM
  • Thanks for your fast answer Aaron.

when you wrote I should be able to migrate between 4.x to 5.x with UE-V you assumed that all the package user's data is saved locally and not virtually (out side the pkg file)?

what I loved about the PKG files is that I don't have to worry about configuring something unique during sequencing, especially if I don't know the application good enough to understand where all the registry \ file system that it saved its user data. all I cared about is that the SFT and the user's PKG will merge together in the workstations.

the UE-V is a very different concept!

1. I need to create XML file for every app and type all the local places I want to sync

2. the pkg file is just a pointer to a network location while in UE-V the user data synced every time I log on. and it sometimes can come up to 500-1000MB. in a VDI environment it can affect logon time significantly as the machines revert each logoff :/

Tamir Levy

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:19 AM
  • Settings for a UE-V managed applications are only copied when the application is accessed - the entire UE-V Settings Storage Location is not synced at logon. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/jj680035.aspx

If you're seeing a user's PKG files reach 500-1000Mb in total, I would expect that amount of data to reduce with UE-V.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:26 AM