Distribution server component error, screen shot included RRS feed

• Question

•  

thats the error I'm getting when installing the Distribution server component

the server is a SBS 2003 R2 with Sp2

anyone know how I can fix this ?

thanks

Thursday, November 29, 2007 5:31 AM

All replies

•  

Hello and thanks for your post.

Unfortunately, the FCS server components were not tested or designed for use on a SBS server.  In fact, successfully installing the Distribution server role will cause the Update Services page in the SBS console to be “upset” because it creates an auto-approval rule for all computers rather than the target groups created for SBS.

The distribution server role is really two parts:

1.    A configuration assistant to synchronize the correct WSUS products and categories

2.    Addition of the FCS Update Assistant service which cause WSUS to synchronize with MicrosoftUpdate hourly

Here is what I would recommend:

If you are using WSUS 2.0 and only desire definition updates once per day:

·         Manually configure WSUS 2.0 to synchronize the product Forefront Client Security and the category Definition Updates

·         Manually create a auto-approval rule(s) for Definition Updates for the appropriate SBS target groups

If you are using WSUS 2.0 and desire definition updates more frequently than once per day

·         Upgrade to WSUS 3.0: http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServerSolutions/SBS/en/library/de2e9436-f23f-47f0-b840-e8b3e72182751033.mspx?mfr=true

·         Follow WSUS 3.0 steps below

If you are using WSUS 3.0

·         Manually configure WSUS 3.0 to synchronize the product Forefront Client Security and the category Definition Updates

·         Manually create a auto-approval rule(s) for Definition Updates for the appropriate SBS target groups

·         Configure WSUS to synchronize with Microsoft Update at the desired frequency

Using the WSUS 3.0 steps should have the same net results as installing the Distribution server role.  For the specific steps/clicks necessary to do this, see the WSUS 3.0 operators documentation.

Hope this helps.

Craig

Thursday, January 3, 2008 4:47 PM
  • Hello, I'm having the same issue when I try to install the Distribution server role on the same server where System Center Essentials 2007is installed on but keep getting the following error:

"configures distribution server component" Status Error.

WSUS services is of course installed with with Essentials.

Thanks for your help

antony
    Monday, October 6, 2008 2:33 PM
  • Antony I replied to your other thread take a look at it. Thanks
    CSS Security Support Engineer (FCS/MBSA/WUA/Incident Response)
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 3:32 PM