The Client Web Service is not working. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Thank you in advance. This is a Windows Server 2012 R2 machine, current with Windows and optional updates (I don't use Windows update for drivers though).

Back in June of 2016, I converted my PDC to VM (VMWare). This DC also runs WSUS.

My clients stopped reporting after the conversion.

I have since uninstalled and reinstalled WSUS, IIS, and the WID.

My clients can download cabs from the WSUS page, they just don't report status. They all show Windows version 0.0 as well.

I have recently re-enabled IPv6 on both the production NIC and the VMware Mgmt NIC.

I have removed, reinstalled, and reran the post install commands KB3159706.

I'm running out of ideas, any/all help is appreciated. Thanks again!

Monday, January 9, 2017 6:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Carl Domiguez,

1. Could you provide the overview of the WSUS server, it may help check the status of the WSUS server;

2. On the WSUS server, please run Server Cleanup Wizard, check if it could help;

3. On the clients that do not report, please reset windows updates components:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

4. Besides, I would also suggest check network communication, check if the clients could ping the WSUS server, check if http port 8530 is open.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:20 AM
  • Hi,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help, if yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if not, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 2:36 AM
  • Hi Anne,

Thank you for your help!

I've ran the server cleanup wizard, did not help.

I've reset Windows update components on at least one client that isn't reporting, didn't help.

And I've confirmed that I can ping and the 8530 port is open.

Since I haven't been able to figure this out, I retargeted my clients to a different WSUS server and have not had any issues. THis at least confirms for me that the root of the problem exists in the server, not the clients.

Kind Regards,

Carl

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 5:07 PM
  • Hi Carl Dominguez,

If do not want to troubleshoot the original WSUS server, then, you may mark your above reply as answer, so that this post may be ended.

If you still want to revert to that WSUS server later, then you may try reinstall it again:

1. Remove WSUS role in server manager;

2. Delete SUSDB in C:\Windows\WID\Data, delete "SUSDB.mdf" and "SUSDB_log.ldf". After then, you may install SQL server 2012 management studio to check if the SUSDB is deleted or detached.

3. Check if WSUS IIS site is remove when you remove the role, if not, delete it manually.

4. Delete Content folder.

Then, restart the WSUS server and re-install it.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:35 AM