Unable to delete/download/update programmes RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows vista

On my PC there are 4 users, 3 of which are in use and 1 (the main user in control) that is blocked - we have no idea how this happened. I went to use it one day and the message that came up read "The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded"

As this user is blocked, i cannot download updates (for example iTunes) or delete unwanted programmes that my younger brother has downloaded stupidly. This means the computer is not that useful and reading through all these posts none of them have helped!!

As the main user is blocked i cannot make my user the user in 'control'. if you could tell me how to do this is would be a major help and save us from buying a new PC!! Thank you.

Furthermore, when the security message comes up asking to type the security password (we never had one so therefore we just have to click OK), nothing happens - it just closes it's self
    • Edited by Victoria Boulton Saturday, September 8, 2012 1:44 PM
    • Moved by Leo Huang Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:25 AM Windows Vista Problem (From:Windows 7 Security)
    Saturday, September 8, 2012 1:39 PM

All replies

• I know the link below will tell you that is for Windows 7 but i think that same  steps aplly to Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

• Click Start, type regedit in the Search box, and then press Enter.
        • In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
          <samp>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList</samp>
        • In the navigation pane, locate the folder that begins with S-1-5 (SID key) followed by a long number.
        • Click each S-1-5 folder, locate the ProfileImagePath entry in the details pane, and then double-click to make sure that this is the user account profile that has the error.

See image
          Collapse this imageExpand this image

• If you have two folders starting with S-1-5 followed by some long numbers and one of them ended with.bak, you have to rename the .bak folder. To do this, follow these steps:
            1. Right-click the folder without .bak, and then clickRename. Type .ba, and then press Enter.

See image
            2. Right-click the folder that is named .bak, and then click Rename. Remove .bak at the end of the folder name, and then press Enter.

See image
            3. Right-click the folder that is named .ba, and then click Rename. Change the .ba to .bak at the end of the folder name, and then press Enter.

See image
          • If you have only one folder starting with S-1-5 that is followed by long numbers and ends with.bak, right-click the folder, and then click Rename. Remove .bak at the end of the folder name, and then press Enter.
          • If you have two folders starting with S-1-5 followed by some long numbers and one of them ended with.bak, you have to rename the .bak folder. To do this, follow these steps:
            1. Right-click the folder without .bak, and then clickRename. Type .ba, and then press Enter.

See image
            2. Right-click the folder that is named .bak, and then click Rename. Remove .bak at the end of the folder name, and then press Enter.

See image
            3. Right-click the folder that is named .ba, and then click Rename. Change the .ba to .bak at the end of the folder name, and then press Enter.

See image
      • If you have only one folder starting with S-1-5 that is followed by long numbers and ends with.bak, right-click the folder, and then click Rename. Remove .bak at the end of the folder name, and then press Enter.
    • Double-click the folder without .bak in the details pane, double-clickRefCount, type 0, and then click OK.

See image
    • Click the folder without .bak in the details pane, double-clickState, type 0, and then click OK.

See image
    • Close Registry Editor.
    • Restart the computer.
    • Log on again with your account.
    Saturday, September 8, 2012 2:35 PM
  • Hi, thanks so much for this but unfortunately it didn't work - the folders would not let me rename them and when i got to "RefCount" it wouldn't let me press OK. Really not sure what to do :(
    Sunday, September 9, 2012 3:56 PM