none
Rollup of Resource name to Project Level (Project Server/Online) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am using Project Online...

I have a task called "Programming" in a Microsoft Project Plan and I want to be able to display the value of the assigned resource at Project level in the Project Information Dialog, and also so that I can show this value in the Project Center view. I know I need an Enterprise Project Level custom field, and the formula below uniquely identifies the task and the resource assigned to that specific task, but I am unable to "rollup" text fields to Project Summary Task.

IIf([Name]="Programming",[Resource Names],"NA")

How do I achieve what I need to do here ?   Normally it would be a simple matter of rolling up to Project Level, but text fields can't be rolled up.  I am sure this must be possible as I need to display in a Project Center view the resource assigned to this specific task. By a simialr token I need to display the resources assigned to other "key Tasks" in the project, but this needs to be presented in a Project Center view.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Alison

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 11:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Alison,

Have you tried the following steps? 

1- Create a TASK custom field with your formula above.

2- Then create a PROJECT custom field equal to your task custom field.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 1:41 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Yes, I have and that is exactly the approach I was following, however the Project Custom Field only reads the value from Row 0 in the Task field, and, since this field is NOT rolled up (and can't be rolled up), it returns a null value :-(

So I need some other mechanism to get this to work !

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Alison

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 11:10 AM
  • Hi Alison,

Indeed I ran into the same result.

Your workaround would be to run some VBA code inside MS Project.

Another solution would be to create project text custom fields inserted in a PDP and add some code to make a people picker. Note that this solution won't be dynamic, the PM would have to manually enter the names in the PDP people pickers.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 1:28 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

I found a way to do it more simply after consulting with my colleague (Kelvin Kirby) internally.  All I needed to do was to copy the cell with the relevant custom task field value in it and do a Paste Link to a separate cell at Row0 where this column is a Project Level custom field. Using the paste Link ensures that if the resource changes it updates at the Project Summary Level, and when the Project is published I can use the Project Level field to display in a Project Center view. Since this format will be saved to a template and that template will be used for projects going forward then it will always work. And it works like magic !! :-) 

Thanks

Alison

• Edited by Alison Howes Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:53 PM
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:51 PM