Deployment Failure - thick image - (5627) dism.exe (MDT 2012 Update 1) RRS feed

• Question

• I installed MDT 2012 Update 1 on a new server and was testing it out with our Windows 8 deployment. I captured a thick image which works fine when I boot to Win PE and apply it using dism.

I imported the image into the the deployment share (custom, no setup/sysprep) and created a Custom Task Sequence with just 3 tasks to do a custom format (command line using dism), apply the image (choose specific disk and partition), and restart the computer. However, when I go through the task sequence, it comes up with some errors and appears that it gets sysprepped again because it prompts me to answer questions that weren't a part of my original sysprep (EULA, adding a new user, etc).

Any idea where I need to look to get this fixed? I've shared the BDD.log and LTIApply.log on my SkyDrive.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=0FB4C394CC7A79E1&id=FB4C394CC7A79E1%21105

Here's a snip of the results 

<![CDATA[FAILURE (Err): 53: Copy File: C:\MININT\unattend.xml to C:\Windows\Panther\Unattend.xml - File not found
    FAILURE ( 5627 ): 2: Run DISM.exe
    Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259  0x80004005
    Failed to run the action: Install Operating System. 
    Unknown error (Error: 000015FB; Source: Unknown)
    Failed to run the action: Install Operating System. Execution has been aborted
    Failed to run the last action: Install Operating System. Execution of task sequence failed.
    Task Sequence Engine failed! Code: enExecutionFail
    Task sequence execution failed with error code 80004005
    Error Task Sequence Manager failed to execute task sequence. Code 0x80004005]]>

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by Mathew D A Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:41 PM
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:13 PM

Answers

• Why use a Custom Task Sequence instead of a Standard Client Task Sequence for the Deployment of the Image?  The Standard Client TS has a Config step that modifies the Unattend.xml with rules and injects it before the first start-up of the newly deployed OS.  Without this, whatever you are deploying with your Custom Task Sequence probably has no Unattend.xml and is therefore performing OOBE.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

• Marked as answer by Mathew D A Friday, July 26, 2013 3:09 PM
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:32 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Why use a Custom Task Sequence instead of a Standard Client Task Sequence for the Deployment of the Image?  The Standard Client TS has a Config step that modifies the Unattend.xml with rules and injects it before the first start-up of the newly deployed OS.  Without this, whatever you are deploying with your Custom Task Sequence probably has no Unattend.xml and is therefore performing OOBE.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

• Marked as answer by Mathew D A Friday, July 26, 2013 3:09 PM
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:32 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for getting back to me regarding that. So what's the bare minimum of steps in the standard task sequence that I would need to deploy this image properly then? (I wasn't aware that it would have that behavior on Custom and thought it would be easier than disabling the unnecessary steps on the Standard)

• Edited by Mathew D A Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:02 PM text edits
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:01 PM
  • Take a look at this:

http://windowsdeployments.net/building-a-windows-8-image-with-mdt-2012-update-1/

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, July 26, 2013 2:32 AM
  • I installed MDT 2012 Update 1 on a new server and was testing it out with our Windows 8 deployment. I captured a thick image which works fine when I boot to Win PE and apply it using dism.

I imported the image into the the deployment share (custom, no setup/sysprep) and created a Custom Task Sequence with just 3 tasks to do a custom format (command line using dism), apply the image (choose specific disk and partition), and restart the computer. However, when I go through the task sequence, it comes up with some errors and appears that it gets sysprepped again because it prompts me to answer questions that weren't a part of my original sysprep (EULA, adding a new user, etc).

Any idea where I need to look to get this fixed? I've shared the BDD.log and LTIApply.log on my SkyDrive.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=0FB4C394CC7A79E1&id=FB4C394CC7A79E1%21105

Here's a snip of the results 

<![CDATA[FAILURE (Err): 53: Copy File: C:\MININT\unattend.xml to C:\Windows\Panther\Unattend.xml - File not found
    FAILURE ( 5627 ): 2: Run DISM.exe
    Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259  0x80004005
    Failed to run the action: Install Operating System. 
    Failed to run the action: Install Operating System. Execution has been aborted
    Failed to run the last action: Install Operating System. Execution of task sequence failed.
    Task Sequence Engine failed! Code: enExecutionFail
    Task sequence execution failed with error code 80004005
    Error Task Sequence Manager failed to execute task sequence. Code 0x80004005]]>

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mathew,

I have the similar error deploying a image (no sysprep) using the standard client task sequence. There are 2 partitions, one 500MB for boot and the other remaining partition is for OS. Do you have solutions to resolve the errors? Greatly appreciate any advice given. Thanks.

Regards,

Eng Chai

Eng Chai

Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:42 PM
  • I am getting the same error with Standard TS in MDT 2013

Could some one please let me know if you have the resolution for it?

Thanks

Saturday, January 24, 2015 2:14 PM
  • I was getting the same error.

I then used WinPe x86 and it worked like a charm.

Sunday, January 25, 2015 9:44 PM
  • Hello,

I assume you are facing this issue, while the Deployment is Applying the Answer file (Unattend.xml).

Please do i disk-part clean and re-build the machine. Hope it works.

• Edited by PatilAS Tuesday, January 27, 2015 7:22 AM Spell mistake
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 7:21 AM
  • I solved it by just copying an unattend.xml from another test into my working TS- ID folder (...\Control\TS-ID\unattend.xml), in addition to the existing ts.xml file. The problem was, it doesn't create one, it just overwrite an existing one, I assume.

Monday, July 25, 2016 1:54 PM