SOS! I've been hacked! Please help me.... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,  I've been reading all of your IT EXPERTISE, and I am in DIRE NEED of ASSISTANCE with a VERY IMPORTANT MATTER.  Actually, SEVERAL MATTERS.  First of all, I am a Recruiter - and my computer has been "hi-jacked," or "hacked into."  FOR SURE.  I realize I should do a complete system restore - back to factory settings - but WON'T I LOSE EVERYTHING???  I cannot lose everything - all my candidates, clients, etc., etc...That is the FIRST Question.  I thank all of you, in advance, for giving me your input-advice-help-direction-etc., etc...as I have nowhere else to turn except to the experts. Please explain the steps to take to resolve this issue.  Second question...I have been told they "got in through the 'back door,' using 'Log me in,' and it was because they sent me an e-mail with an attachment."  Please explain, in detail, what all of that means.  THANK YOU SO MUCH!  P.S.  I must CATCH these people - as I know who they are - not simply FIX it.  That makes it a little more difficult, I know...Sorry!  Please Help Me!  TE39Trialand ErrorChick - Waiting on your expertise...!   

Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:43 AM

All replies

• Nice lizard in your profile picture. What's its name?

MikeT
    Friday, August 15, 2008 7:54 PM
  • This is the wrong forum for this type of question.

I do recommend backing up all your work to DVD or file share somewhere and then reinstalling your OS.  You will only lose what you dont backup.

In terms of forsensic investigation to catch the culprits you would need some professional assistance.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:10 AM