Finding previous IP address (DHCP) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a dynamic IP address that changes once in a few days and I need to find out what was my IP address a few days ago (a requirement related to remote access to a certain platform at work).

My ISP doesn't save previous IP addresses log so how can I locate it in Windows 7 professional (that I currently use)? Is there any log somewhere and how can I access it?

Will appreciate your quick response. Many thanks!<o:p></o:p>

Monday, February 8, 2016 11:35 AM

Answers

• Windows will not have a history of your dynamic IP addresses because they are generated by you ISP.  They are not generated by Windows.  When you connect to your ISP via your modem the ISP then generates with its own DHCP server an IP address for that particular connection.  The IP address in Windows from your modem usually does not change.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Edited by Rick Dee Monday, February 8, 2016 5:59 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ZigZag3143x Monday, February 8, 2016 6:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Friday, February 19, 2016 2:51 AM
    Monday, February 8, 2016 5:59 PM
  • Nothing you can do about what's happened in the past, but you could enable the DHCP event log as follows, but this would ONLY be worthwhile if you are getting IP directly from the ISP. Also I'm not sure if it works for Windows 7 Professional but it does for Windows 7 Ultimate:

As an Administrator, open event log by running EVENTVWR

Expand Applications and Services Logs
    Expand Microsoft
    Expand Windows
    Expand DHCP-Client
    Right-click on "Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client/Operational" and select "Enable Log"

Next open a CMD prompt as Administrator and type the following:
    IPCONFIG /RENEW

Then when you go back and refresh your DHCP event log you should see some entries. Look through them and you should see one with your IP address. Event ID 60000 is most likely what you need.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Ha®®y

Monday, February 8, 2016 9:03 PM

All replies

• Windows will not have a history of your dynamic IP addresses because they are generated by you ISP.  They are not generated by Windows.  When you connect to your ISP via your modem the ISP then generates with its own DHCP server an IP address for that particular connection.  The IP address in Windows from your modem usually does not change.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Edited by Rick Dee Monday, February 8, 2016 5:59 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ZigZag3143x Monday, February 8, 2016 6:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Friday, February 19, 2016 2:51 AM
    Monday, February 8, 2016 5:59 PM
  • Nothing you can do about what's happened in the past, but you could enable the DHCP event log as follows, but this would ONLY be worthwhile if you are getting IP directly from the ISP. Also I'm not sure if it works for Windows 7 Professional but it does for Windows 7 Ultimate:

As an Administrator, open event log by running EVENTVWR

Expand Applications and Services Logs
    Expand Microsoft
    Expand Windows
    Expand DHCP-Client
    Right-click on "Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client/Operational" and select "Enable Log"

Next open a CMD prompt as Administrator and type the following:
    IPCONFIG /RENEW

Then when you go back and refresh your DHCP event log you should see some entries. Look through them and you should see one with your IP address. Event ID 60000 is most likely what you need.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Ha®®y

Monday, February 8, 2016 9:03 PM
  • Hi Windows7user33

How about the issue, is there anything to update?

If the issue has been resolved by yourself, it would be much appreciated if you would share the troubleshoot experience here and mark the case. It would be much useful for the person who will come across the similar issue in the future.

If the issue was resolved by the replies in this thread, please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:57 AM