Security patch, how to remove these patches from Windows Server2008R2 SP1? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, everyone.

Coule you let me request giving information regarding removing security patches from Windows Server2008 SP1?

Target security patches as follows,

KB2592687
    KB2574819
    KB2898858

I would like to confirm how to remove these patches and effects when these patches would be remove from OS.

Also is order of removing these patches important? 

If you have any information, let me know that,please.

Thank you for kindness.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Due to these are security patches, it is not recommended to remove them.

If these patches cause conflict in the server, to remove these patches, we have two choices:

1. Remove these patches by WSUS
    2. Remove these patches manually

To remove these patches by WSUS, please follow the steps below,

1. In the WSUS administrative console, click Updates.
    2. In the list of updates, select one or more updates that you want to approve for removal and right-click them (or go to the Actions pane).
    3. In the Approve Updates dialog box, select the computer group from which you want to remove the update, and click the arrow next to it.
    4. Select Approved for Removal, and then click the Remove button.
    5. After the remove approval has completed, you may select a deadline by right-clicking the update once more, selecting the appropriate computer group, and clicking the arrow next to it. Then select Deadline.

For detailed information, please refer to the link below,

Approving the Updates

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708474(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards.

Steven Lee

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 21, 2014 6:18 AM
  • Coule you let me request giving information regarding removing security patches from Windows Server2008 SP1?

My first question is WHY we're talking about a Windows Server 2008 SP1 system?

Actually I'm inclined to attribute that to a critical typographical error, since two of the updates in question did not apply to Windows Server 2008 systems, and the third (MS14-009) couldn't have been installed on a WS2008SP1 system anyway.

(In forums posts *semantics* is everything. If you give us inaccurate information ... even accidentally .. it can result in you getting inaccurate information.)

KB2592687
    KB2574819
    KB2898858

My next observation is that KB2898858 (MS14-009) is superseded by MS14-046, so perhaps the solution is to install the newer update?

My third observation is that KB2592687 and KB2574819 are from September 2013, so why the interest in uninstalling them now?

But.. to answer your question: All three updates can be removed by using the WSUS "Approval for Removal" feature.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Friday, August 22, 2014 1:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Due to these are security patches, it is not recommended to remove them.

If these patches cause conflict in the server, to remove these patches, we have two choices:

1. Remove these patches by WSUS
    2. Remove these patches manually

To remove these patches by WSUS, please follow the steps below,

1. In the WSUS administrative console, click Updates.
    2. In the list of updates, select one or more updates that you want to approve for removal and right-click them (or go to the Actions pane).
    3. In the Approve Updates dialog box, select the computer group from which you want to remove the update, and click the arrow next to it.
    4. Select Approved for Removal, and then click the Remove button.
    5. After the remove approval has completed, you may select a deadline by right-clicking the update once more, selecting the appropriate computer group, and clicking the arrow next to it. Then select Deadline.

For detailed information, please refer to the link below,

Approving the Updates

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708474(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards.

Steven Lee

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 21, 2014 6:18 AM
  • Coule you let me request giving information regarding removing security patches from Windows Server2008 SP1?

My first question is WHY we're talking about a Windows Server 2008 SP1 system?

Actually I'm inclined to attribute that to a critical typographical error, since two of the updates in question did not apply to Windows Server 2008 systems, and the third (MS14-009) couldn't have been installed on a WS2008SP1 system anyway.

(In forums posts *semantics* is everything. If you give us inaccurate information ... even accidentally .. it can result in you getting inaccurate information.)

KB2592687
    KB2574819
    KB2898858

My next observation is that KB2898858 (MS14-009) is superseded by MS14-046, so perhaps the solution is to install the newer update?

My third observation is that KB2592687 and KB2574819 are from September 2013, so why the interest in uninstalling them now?

But.. to answer your question: All three updates can be removed by using the WSUS "Approval for Removal" feature.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Friday, August 22, 2014 1:12 AM
  • Hi Steven,

Thank you very much for instructions.

I will try to perform uninstallation of these patches according to the instructions.

Thank you again.

Friday, August 22, 2014 9:43 AM