external drive won't show up as a recovery option RRS feed

• Question

• My external backup is FAT32 and my computer will not find it in system restore so I can't use my saved backups from the drive.  If I convert the external to NTFS will I be able to recover my backups through system restore?  Can I restore a new hard drive to a previous computer build, from the external backup drive at all??  How can I restore a system image from the external to my new hard drive?  Will the FAT32 to NTFS help at all?

I have a second hard disc installed with most of all of my info on it also.  This is now used for the backup and restore disc.  I have a new restore point on it.  Is it at all possible to move my saved restore points,from the external, into the second hard drive restore files??

Why does my computer know to backup on the external but not know how to restore from it?

I have Windows10 and my new hard drive is identical to the last one.  The old hard drive is now my backup recovery disc and does still have all info and is accessible. It only had OS problems and would not update correctly.  So now I have all of my files and programs, just no way to make my computer restore with all old info in all new places.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

why not use disk mamnagemtn and shrink the size of the FAT32 partition and then create and another NTFS Partiion on the the same drive?

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 3:57 PM