none
construction project: set up amount of materials RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i'm using project online with a project pro 2016 trying to set up an easy way for relatively big construction projects.

a project consist of +500 tasks, which mostly are subcontractors, but could also have materials, workhours, ...

since each task is counted to our client as a price per m2, m3 , ... i try to keep it simpel and assign the cost as a material to every task.

now the problem: everything rolls out our crm, it's some copy paste, except for the amount of materials per task.

i have to open the resourceplanner or another detail window, and manual add the number there.

can't i just add a column to the gantt chart where i paste the amount ?

best regard,

Monday, June 20, 2016 7:58 AM

All replies

• Sometimes when you try to "keep it simple" you just end up not doing it properly, or at least you end up paying for the shortcut by preventing MSP from doing its job for you.

How do you assign the material resources? If you just use the drop down list in the resource names column you won't get what you want.

However, for example, if you have a material type resource called "concrete", give it the label (a field in the resource sheet view) such as "m3".

Then back to the Gantt chart view and use resource, assign resources and (select a task which requires concrete of course) and in the assign resources dialog you can put in how many units go to that task.

Any help?

Monday, June 20, 2016 8:52 AM
  • in general:

the works with subcontractors (which is in 90% the case in our projects) resemble in lots of ways the material resource: they work in m2 or m3 and payements follow that principle, to the client as well to the subcontractor.

for the units:

i did as you wrote, my problem is i would need to open the "assign resource menu" 500 times, and add for each task the corresponding units manually.

can't i just add a "unit" column in the ganttchart ?

it seems to exist for hours (columname = "works")

thanks for thinking along ! appreciate it ! ;-)

Monday, June 20, 2016 9:57 AM
  • There are fast ways to do the data entry. You could copy and paste. Or fill down in the column. Or group by task name or group by resource, and then edit and fill down.

500 tasks for a construction project is not a lot. I would say that you should be looking for about 1000 tasks for a $1M project.

Even if you have work type resources, you cannot just type in work in the work field for the task.

Without seeing the file and without knowing more about the quantities/task I can't really say more.

I have written 100s of construction programs. You can send it to me if you like.

Monday, June 20, 2016 2:21 PM