none
Dynamics 365 on-prem async service counters not available in SCOM 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• on a new install of SCOM 2019 with the latest available MP for CRM, our CRM v9 Async servers will not update SCOM with any of the Dynamics specific counters, for example, "CRM Async Service > Total Operations Completion Throughput > _Total" returns statistics in perfmon, but not SCOM.   I've rebuilt the counter library on a couple of occasions to see if that would clear it, but was unsuccessful.  no custom counters are in use.

the Async servers are VMWare VM's running Server 2016 and CRM v9, SCOM management servers are running on VM's and the DB's are in a SQL 2017 Always-On Cluster.

a ticket was opened up with MS and they were able to replicate the issue but they escalated the issue to developers for a solution.  my question is, has anyone run into this type of thing and if so, has a fix been found

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 6:43 PM

All replies

• I assume your environment is running MP version 2016 (8.0.0.0), since it seems to be the latest one?

It indeed contains a rule that looks like it should do the job : Total Operations Completion Throughput 

It is pretty basic, no fancy script or WMI, it basically just queries the perfmon counter for all instances (which should include _Total).

Right after restarting SCOM agent service on the dynamics crm server, do you see warning events about failing to load perf counters in Operations Manager event log?

Or could it be that this rule is disabled by an override?

Also, that rule is targeted at the "Microsoft Dynamics CRM AsyncService Servers" class. If you open that class in the "Discovered Inventory" view of the SCOM console, do you see any instance?

• Edited by CyrAz Tuesday, November 19, 2019 8:23 PM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 8:18 PM
  • thanks for the quick reply.  there's no overrides in play, but there's no instances of the async server class in discovered inventory.  the windows servers themselves were discovered, but not the async server class.
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 10:42 PM
  • I just had another look and I'm a bit puzzled... that Class has quite a few rules and monitors targeted at it, but no associated Discovery rule. And there is also no other class inheriting it. 

Which means there will never be any instance of this class, and that these rules and monitors will never be used... Weird.

Did you actually see it working for a previous version of CRM?

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 11:07 PM
  • I've got a 2012 R2 SCOM environment up and have the latest CRM 2011 MP installed (5.0.0.0) and the CRM MP, version 8.0.0.0 and all of the counters are available.
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 5:41 PM
  • Having it working for CRM 2011 doesn't surprise me : in this version, the "Microsoft Dynamics CRM AsyncService Servers" class doesn't exist. However it has more or less the same rules for perf counters but targeted at another class which does have a discovery : Microsoft.Dynamics.CRM.2011.Asynchronous_Processing_Service_Server . 

That other class also exists along with its discovery in MP v8.0.0.0, but as I said previously the perf rules are not targeted at it anymore.

I'm more surprised about the MP v8 working in that old environment though. Could you confirm that you see instances of "Microsoft Dynamics CRM AsyncService Servers" there?

• Edited by CyrAz Wednesday, November 20, 2019 7:57 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 7:56 PM
  • the async servers show up as expected from CRM 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2016 (we're upgrading from 2011 and have those environments up to migrate the DB)
    • Edited by mpjeffries Friday, November 22, 2019 7:34 PM
    Friday, November 22, 2019 7:27 PM
  • Now that's even weirder... I can"t understand how you can have instances for the "Microsoft Dynamics CRM AsyncService Servers" class if there is no discovery for it...

Could you confirm there is none in your old SCOM environment? Go in authoring > management pack objects > discoveries and scope the view on "Microsoft Dynamics CRM AsyncService Servers". Do you see a discovery rule or is the view empty? 

I imported the MP in my lab to check on my side and there is nothing.

Saturday, November 23, 2019 7:43 PM
  • there is a discovery object in the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Asynchronous Processing Service and Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Asynchronous Processing Service classes.  both discoveries are set to run twice daily and there's no overrides
    Monday, November 25, 2019 4:49 PM
  • ... but my question was for ""Microsoft Dynamics CRM AsyncService Servers", not " Microsoft Dynamics CRM Asynchronous Processing Service" ;)

Since you made the mistake here, could you also confirm again that you see instances of the "Microsoft Dynamics CRM AsyncService Servers" class in Discovered Inventoy view?

Monday, November 25, 2019 5:00 PM
  • sorry, my caffeine low level light was on.   a check for Microsoft Dynamics CRM AsyncService Servers came up empty, as you had expected.
    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 9:38 PM
  • And you are 100% certain than you do see Total Operations Completion Throughput perf counter collected for Dynamics 2013+ servers in your old environment?

If that's the case, could you right click > properties on that counter and copy the name of the rule?

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 10:27 PM
  • yes, the rule name is "Total Operations Completion Throughput" with a target of "Microsoft Dynamics CRM AsyncService Servers"  there's no overrides set up 
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 4:42 PM
  • Then it definitely doesn't make any sense to me, sorry... I can't understand where the instances of Microsoft Dynamics CRM AsyncService Servers are coming from, since there is no discovery for it.
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 5:01 PM
  • well I appreciate all the help.  we do have MS working on a fix, hopefully it'll be in the next MP or UR package.
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 5:20 PM
  • I'd definitely be interested if you can share the solution they provide you !
    Wednesday, December 4, 2019 9:50 AM