Regarding the Win 2008 Server.... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am having an issue using Windows 2008 AD.  When I'm logon in my client Win XP, my logon script for Map Network drive is working, i shifted all my documents to that folder. After that i am trying to copy a file, i am getting the following error: Cannot copy the "File Name": The Specified Network name is no longer available.  I can map a  drive no problem.  I can copy a file from the Client (Win XP) to that server's drive no problem.  But when I try to copy a file from the Server to my PC,  it hangs for a minute and then returns "The Network name is no longer available"

I have installed Win 2008 Server and AD with my new HP DL380 G5 last week only. all my PCs are connected with my Domain and the DNS.

Having one more issue, i have installed VS 2008 and VSS 2005. same problem is coming when trying to communicate from client to Server.

Please any one help me to solve this problem... Its very urgent.....
    Kumar
    Friday, January 16, 2009 11:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue may be caused by third party software. Please test in Safe Mode with network first.

Restart the Windows XP client, press F8 and choose Safe Mode with network. Is there any progress in safe Mode?

If not, please try the steps below to change system settings.

1.    To disable checksum offloading, open Registry Editer, navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

a. Click Edit, point to New, and then click DWORD Value. Type DisableTaskOffload as the entry name, and then press ENTER.
    b. Right-click DisableTaskOffload, and then click Modify. In the Value data box, type a value of 1 , and then click OK.

2.    Disable EnableRSS, navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

On the Edit menu, point to New, click DWORD Value, and then type EnableRSS . Double-click EnableRSS, type 0 , and then click OK.

3.    If the Windows XP is 64 Bit, please try the following hotfix.

Disable RSS (Receive side scaling)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912222/en-us

If the issue still occurs after all the steps above, please check Event Log in Server 2008, Windows XP client to see if there is any error and let us know the detailed error message.

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Mervyn Zhang Monday, January 19, 2009 7:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mervyn Zhang Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:37 AM
    Monday, January 19, 2009 7:07 AM