Improving Windows 7 search?! RRS feed

• Question

• Something is wrong with my Windows 7 search (from start orb in the start menu).  When I type "fi", firewall doesn't come up, and it should.  At the very top, is Documents (2316), with only 3 suggestions which are FAR off from Windows firewall.  I also tried to type it all out "firewall", and that yields NO results!! "pa" should recommend MS Paint at least somewhere, but instead it brings up a bunch of things, starting with some Documents, but Paint is nowhere on the list...

I also just typed "msconfig" in the search and it yielded NO results!? I know for a FACT Vista finds it immediately because I frequently used it in Vista, even when I typed it out entirely, it was always the first result on the list.  The Win 7 search at no point during my typing "msconfig", from the first letter, to the last ever finds msconfig.

If it makes any difference, I did an upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Win 7 Home Premium.

Something is def wrong... I'd like some help please!  :\
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:06 PM

Answers

•  Guys, I figured out what the problem was on my own through sheer luck when I stumbled upon it - this entire issue was caused by ONE CHECKMARK BOX not being ticked.

Start Menu.. Options.. Customize.. SEARCH PROGRAMS AND CONTROL PANEL!!!!!!!!!

I guess I don't really blame you guys for not figuring that out - it was a somewhat vague issue, but it's now solved nonetheless.

So, after all, we can conclude that there's absolutely nothing wrong the the Win 7 upgrade (at least not for me)  ;)

• Marked as answer by Siciliano77 Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:23 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:23 PM

All replies

• I shouldn't have to do a clean install... MS sells the upgrade, so it should be viable and 100% functional. 

I purposely chose to do the upgrade because I have a LOT of programs, and I don't want to re-install everything for the 100th time (I've already done numerous clean installs in the past). 

There must be SOME way to fix this.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:23 PM
  • I can't seem to find my problem there... I guess I either just live with it, or reinstall clean for the 100th time.  I think I'll live with it for now, unless other major problems arise - it isn't worth the time to reinstall everything.  =\

I was really hoping for a fix - wishful thinking!
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:54 PM
  • HI
    try this
    trouble shoot the windows search

Go to control panel<system and security< in search pane type search< you will get Troubleshooting with windows search,
    follow the remaining instructions.

Hope it helps
    NIKHIL
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:17 PM
  • Nikhil:  I've already tried that, and unfortunately it didn't find any problems!

I'm now on my laptop that has a clean install of Win 7, and the windows search is flawless.

There has to be SOME way to troubleshoot this, or fix it...

Where are the Windows experts???
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:06 PM
  • Siciliano77 schreef op 10-11-2009 23:06:

> There has to be SOME way to troubleshoot this, or fix it...
    >

The only fix seems to be: create a new user account and switch to that :-(

--
    Karel Vos [MVP - Windows Desktop Experience]
    • Marked as answer by Siciliano77 Tuesday, November 10, 2009 11:07 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Siciliano77 Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:23 PM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:22 PM
  • karelVos:  I didn't think of that - thank you!  You're the only one that has actually posted something that works! :)  It's a little time consuming switching everything over to the other account, but not NEARLY as time consuming as doing a clean install!!

There is one very odd problem though - all the icons on the desktop have a checkmark box in the TOP LEFT area of the icon that can be ticked with a checkmark.  It's basically just an annoyance as they don't really do anything and are not needed at all (to select multiple icons, just click drag around them to select).  I'm not confusing this with the shortcut arrow - they're actual checkmark boxes!  Very odd.

Have you ever seen this before??? If so, how do I get rid of the checkmark boxes????

Thanks again!
    • Marked as answer by Siciliano77 Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:19 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Siciliano77 Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:19 PM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:59 PM
  •  Guys, I figured out what the problem was on my own through sheer luck when I stumbled upon it - this entire issue was caused by ONE CHECKMARK BOX not being ticked.

Start Menu.. Options.. Customize.. SEARCH PROGRAMS AND CONTROL PANEL!!!!!!!!!

I guess I don't really blame you guys for not figuring that out - it was a somewhat vague issue, but it's now solved nonetheless.

So, after all, we can conclude that there's absolutely nothing wrong the the Win 7 upgrade (at least not for me)  ;)

• Marked as answer by Siciliano77 Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:23 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:23 PM