none
Project 2013 when highlighting a value with the mouse cursor keyboard is not affecting RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have found a weird behavior on Project 2013 and wanted to know if this is a bug or by design behavior, since It was not like that in Project 2007.

When I have a custom field with lookup table and I open the drop down list, if I am just clicking on the arrow and not trying to select values with the mouse cursor I can type letters entry or even try to scroll up an down using the keyboard arrows it is working fine.

But, if I moving the cursor over one of the values so that one of them is highlighted in blue background, then it gets stuck, I cannot use the letters or arrows to move the highlight between the values.

Actually, it moves to the value but I just don't see the blue background moves.

If in the above example I type "G" and click enter, it will select the Grey value and it will appear on the cell, but I cannot see the highlight preview before choosing.

Anyone know about this issue?

Ofir Marco , MCTS P.Z. Projects

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 8:27 AM

All replies

• Try waiting for a second before pressing the key , eg G. I can confirm this happens on 2016/13/10.  The behaviour is slightly different on 2007, as it doesn't clear the previous key press.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 11:30 PM
  • 

Hi Ben,

I have tried to wait, still it doesn't change.

The blue highlight is still showing the previous selection.

Can you explain what do you mean that it happens on 2016/13/10

I can't understand why the highlighting behavior is different in 2013

(I have checked 2010 and it works fine)

Why should the highlight of the drop down get stuck, not respond to keyboard changes

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 6:28 AM
  • Hi Ofir,

I can't fully replicate your issue, ie mine works using a lookup table and I can select the values using the 1st letter, as long as I pause between key presses.  However, if there are lookup table values beginning with the same letter then I can press this letter quickly and I'm taken instantly between the correct lookup tables. (ie the letters G,R,B) in the screen shot below.

For 2016/13/10, I meant I can replicate this in Project 2016, Project 2013 and Project 2010.

Here's my image from 2013...

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 6:51 AM
  • I can select the values using the 1st letter and more letters only if I click on the drop down arrow and then start typing, this works fine for me.

But, did you try to replicate the case where you click on the arrow to open the drop down list, then hover your mouse cursor on one of the values and then try to type some letters to move between values or try to move the selection with the keyboard up and down arrows?

Also, what version is installed in your Project 2013 client?

mine is 15.0.4771.1000

maybe I need to install a new CU or hotfix that I am not aware of?

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 7:04 AM
  • Hi Ofir,

Ah now I see your problem.  Once you hover using the cursor the keyboard is disabled.  Only the ESC key resets everything!  I can confirm this happens for me on 2010, 2013 and 2016. 

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 7:14 AM
  • Glad to hear it is not only a local problem.

Do you agree that this isn't proper behavior of a system to have keyboard disable if I use the mouse?

Is it something that Microsoft should fix?

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 7:33 AM
  • I agree that it's certainly unusual and unexpected.  Given it's been there since 2010 (5 years) I doubt it'll be resolved...

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 7:50 AM
  • What is the way to pass it to Microsoft to check?

Should the customer's company approach them somehow?

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:08 AM