Templates--restricting styles? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to apply a .doc that was created in Word 2003. When I apply it to an existing 2010 doc, for some reason it is allowing all of these styles that are not part of my template. Is there a way I can restrict this without having to go into the style options and restrict the styles on each individual document?
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 9:08 PM

Answers

• Styles already present in a document won’t be removed simply because you attach a different template. You can use Find and Replace to replace the styles, and then delete the unwanted styles.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:49 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:07 AM

All replies

• Oops, that should say .dot, not .doc in the first line.
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:27 PM
  • Styles already present in a document won’t be removed simply because you attach a different template. You can use Find and Replace to replace the styles, and then delete the unwanted styles.

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:49 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:07 AM
  • Thank you. I understand that the styles won't change, what I want to do is restrict the styles available to those only in the new template within the Change Styles menu. Is there a way to do that at the template level? I understand how to do that for an individual document. 

Thank you.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:02 PM
  • Thank you. I understand that the styles won't change, what I want to do is restrict the styles available to those only in the new template within the Change Styles menu. Is there a way to do that at the template level? I understand how to do that for an individual document. 

Thank you.

You can select "Restrict formatting to a selection of styles" in the Restrict Formatting and Editing task pane (Review tab | Restrict Editing). Click the Settings link to specify which styles are allowed and which are not. This can be done in a template, and the setting will then apply to all documents subsequently created from the template. Don't forget to click Yes, Start Enforcing Protection before saving the template (and specify an optional password).

Note, however, that styles restriction isn't 100% safe; actually, it can be circumvented rather easily.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:32 PM
  • I've tried this; it doesn't work. The next time I apply the template to an existing document and pull up the Styles menu, all kinds of funky styles are available. It doesn't happen when I do the same thing in 2003; I think 2010 just doesn't like all the back and forth between 2003 documents, templates, versions, etc. 
    Saturday, February 2, 2013 6:10 PM
  • How are you "applying" the template? Note that attaching a protected/restricted template to an existing document won't work; instead, you will have to set protection manually for existing documents.

On the other hand, if you protect the template, new documents based on that template will be protected.

Saturday, February 2, 2013 6:38 PM