none
How can I use the Project Import Wizard in PS2010 and also create a project site from a predefined template? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a PS2010 environment using a couple of different Enterprise Project Types which each have different schedule templates and project site templates.  However, I have an existing .mpp file that I need to bring into Project Server.

If I use the Project Import Wizard, I can see no way to create a Project Site from the specific template required.  In fact, after I imported the project and tried to publish the schedule, I was asked if I wanted to create a Project Site but it didn't give me any option for which template to choose.

In the Queue, the Project Site Create job failed with the '...not blocking correlation' state.

We are utilising the Department function but when I saved the project I entered the correct Department. 

If I try to to create a project site from the Project Sites area in Server Settings in PWA, I get the message that the site already exists with the same name!!!

Can anyone give me a clue why I can't create a project site in this case and also, advise if there is a way to add projects to Project Server using the Import Wizard that allows you to create a Project Site from a specific template?

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:12 AM

Answers

• These will have to be two seperate processes.

Once you import the project to PWA, then you can publish to create the site.   You need to configure project server to determine which site template to use for the publish. (recommended way)

If you use an EPT to use a template and create a project site, you need to go thru this process and complete it.  Then run the project wizard to import the project and SAVE AS over top of an exisiting project in PWA.  The name has to be identical.  I recommend do the first paragraph.  MS Project does some strange things when publishing over an exisiting project, specially after it has time submitted to it.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

• Marked as answer by Nonplussed Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:07 AM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:28 AM

All replies

• These will have to be two seperate processes.

Once you import the project to PWA, then you can publish to create the site.   You need to configure project server to determine which site template to use for the publish. (recommended way)

If you use an EPT to use a template and create a project site, you need to go thru this process and complete it.  Then run the project wizard to import the project and SAVE AS over top of an exisiting project in PWA.  The name has to be identical.  I recommend do the first paragraph.  MS Project does some strange things when publishing over an exisiting project, specially after it has time submitted to it.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

• Marked as answer by Nonplussed Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:07 AM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:28 AM
  • Thanks Michael

I'm not sure how you configure Project Server to determine which Site Template to use after you ahve imported the project but your 2nd option has worked.

I created a project from the project Centre in the usual way, selecting the EPT and naming it as I require.  Once completed, and the project and project site have been created, I then used the Wizard to Import the 'real' project schedule into Project Server and named it the same as the initial project I created.

This copied the new schedule over the original one and now I have my imported project in Project Server with the project site based on the correct template associated with the EPT.

Thanks for your help.

Peter 

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:11 AM