Size and Size on disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am facing an awesome problem with folders on my External HDD , when I explore the properties of a folder, the size property has two parameters; size and size on disk. The issue is the “size on disk” exceeds “size” substantially, for example for a folder with size 97.6 GB, the size on disk is 111GB, and another folder with Size 6.59 GB, its size on disk is 17.8 GB! This is shown in the screenshots below. What might be the issue here?

Any help is appreciated

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 7:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Hani,

how did you formatted this external drive? FAT32 or NTFS?

Did you put the default allocation size or you did setup with the custom allocation size?

If you have a bunch of small files, and the drive has FAT32 file system, then you will have a lot of wasted space.

For small files, smaller allocation units. For larger files, vice versa.

Do you have space on your PC/laptop to copy those files? If you have FAT32 on external HDD, and NTFS on your workstation, you can copy files and see the difference.

Please click on Propose As Answer or to mark this post as and helpful for other people. This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:01 AM
  • Hi Vladimir,

The external drive is formatted with exFAT. I didn't set the allocation size , I just formatted the drive, and kept everything as default. I will try to copy all the content to another HDD to feel the difference.

Thank you very much for the help! 

Hani Draidi GIS Engineer

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:48 AM
  • Thank you. Please keep us posted.

Please click on Propose As Answer or to mark this post as and helpful for other people. This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:06 AM
  • Sure!

Hani Draidi GIS Engineer

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:07 AM