none
Change a user from an old workgroup to a domain cleanly - no loss of settings, passwords, licenses, etc.

Question

• I have tried paid tools (suggested by Microsoft), the USMT 4.0 tools, MoveUser, etc. and nothing I do will cleanly migrate a user from being on a workgroup to a domain.  This only needs to be a one way thing, once they are on the domain, we're set.

Everything I have tried has been a debacle.  Email having to be rebuilt, shortcuts and favorites missing, licenses missing in some cases, let alone all of the custom adjustments the users have spent years putting together just gone.

There has got to be a way to do this.  Doesn't Microsoft want people on Windows servers and domains?  I have to take care of approx. 70 users and at this point I'm going to have to go to each one and explain to them that yesterday things did one thing and today they won't work that way, and that's just too bad.

It should be easy: Move the user profile to a domain-based profile.  Is it such a mess internally that we can't do that?

Friday, November 03, 2017 8:38 PM

All replies

• Logon once as the new domain user so the new profile gets created, then logon as another user with local admin rights, navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

find the new domain profile and point the expand string ProfileImagePath to the old profile.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 03, 2017 9:14 PM
  • That doesn't even come close to working?

Doing this just bounces me with a crash and reset to login, apparently because of permissions.  I can't change permissions of multiple folders/files within the user folder, even AS the original user.

It seems strange that we have to point to an old path like this to make it work (if it does).  Is there anything I'm missing here?

Monday, November 06, 2017 10:45 PM
  • That doesn't even come close to working?

Works flawlessly for years. Must be some other lingering damage / corruption / complications. You can also just file copy the stuff over. Not as clean, but effective.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 07, 2017 1:09 AM
  • This is a new PC, and actually I've tried on two.  I'm not trying to be difficult.  I actually tried a transfer of the data on yet a third PC like you suggested and had issues then too.

What I don't quite get is why I get access denied messages, as the user or administrator, when trying to change permissions on AppData and others.  I would understand more if these had ever been on a domain before, I could see lingering admin issues there - but these have always been workgroup PCs.

Tuesday, November 07, 2017 4:59 PM
  • What OS is used?

Tuesday, November 07, 2017 5:04 PM
  • These are all Windows 7 Pro
    Tuesday, November 07, 2017 5:59 PM
  • It may have been XP the last time I have done this. You might try some of the options listed here.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/ad1ab74e-e155-4622-9b37-629c2c52b38b/keep-local-profile-as-domain-profile-whenafter-joining-windows-7-box-to-domain?forum=w7itprogeneral

or also ask for help over here.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=w7itprogeneral

Tuesday, November 07, 2017 6:22 PM
  • Hi Bruce

The closest you will get to a full profile copy is by using USMT
    For st. alone PC's We use USMTGUI to run USMT for us and for Domain PC's we use a centralized solution from EhlerTech - User Profile Central 

Please note: It will never be perfect but it sure comes close with USMTGUI

Regards

Frank

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 12:09 PM