User Profile Directory RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

Use profiles are stored inside the Document and Settings Folder , or inside the Users folder  ( c:\user )

How can i change this, so that when a users logs in his path is created in the d:\users_profiles directory ?

i create a folder and named it users_profiles in d drive and i want to store all users profiles inside it instead the default location c:\users

Thanks,

Tarek

Saturday, February 2, 2008 3:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Tarek,

Yes, I agree with Aaron and the roaming profile method should work.

You may also consider the another method by changing the related registry values. Actually, the system save the location information for user profiles in system registry.

Note: Please understand that this is not an official method, although it worked on my test machines. Therefore, please perform full backup and test the method in your lab environment first.

1. For new users:

Key Path: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\]

Value Name: ProfilesDirectory

The default data for the above value is %SystemDrive%\Users.

This value clarifies where a new profiles will be created when a new user logon to this machine the first time.

2. For existing users:

Key Path: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\<User_SID>\]

Value Name: ProfileImagePath

This defines the existing profile's location information specifically for that user (based on its SID).

-------

You can manually copy the user profile folders to a new folder, and then adjust the above values accordingly, as a possible solution.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Miles Li

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 10:39 AM
  • Terek,

This is a unique questions for me, so I have an idea that you could try...

Create a roaming profile with the path to the roaming profile set as:

\\%computername%\D$\%username%

This could allow the users profile to be set up on the D drive of whatever computer they are logging into.
    Saturday, February 2, 2008 11:58 PM

All replies

• Terek,

This is a unique questions for me, so I have an idea that you could try...

Create a roaming profile with the path to the roaming profile set as:

\\%computername%\D$\%username%

This could allow the users profile to be set up on the D drive of whatever computer they are logging into.
    Saturday, February 2, 2008 11:58 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

Yes if it is a roaming profile i would do that and storing the profiles on a File Server RAID 5 Storage .

But i do not want to use roaming profiles, i want to know how to change the default location where the profile are stored , and i want to keep it locally but with a different path !

Tarek Majdalani
    Computer Engineer, CIW, MCSA: Security 2000/2003, TS: Windows Vista
    MVP -- ISA Firewalls

Sunday, February 3, 2008 12:52 PM
  •  

Well, that was my idea.  You could use a roaming profile and, instead of storing it centrally as is typically done, store it on the D drive of the machine.  If you mix in some folder re-direction, it can work OK.

This guy describes what I am thinking of in more detail:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Profile-Folder-Redirection-Windows-Server-2003.html

Luck,

Sunday, February 3, 2008 10:03 PM
  • Hi Tarek,

Yes, I agree with Aaron and the roaming profile method should work.

You may also consider the another method by changing the related registry values. Actually, the system save the location information for user profiles in system registry.

Note: Please understand that this is not an official method, although it worked on my test machines. Therefore, please perform full backup and test the method in your lab environment first.

1. For new users:

Key Path: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\]

Value Name: ProfilesDirectory

The default data for the above value is %SystemDrive%\Users.

This value clarifies where a new profiles will be created when a new user logon to this machine the first time.

2. For existing users:

Key Path: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\<User_SID>\]

Value Name: ProfileImagePath

This defines the existing profile's location information specifically for that user (based on its SID).

-------

You can manually copy the user profile folders to a new folder, and then adjust the above values accordingly, as a possible solution.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Miles Li

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 10:39 AM
  • HI Miles,

Looks very interesting !!! Will try it.

Thanks

Tarek Majdalani
    Computer Engineer, CIW, MCSA: Security 2000/2003, TS: Windows Vista
    MVP -- ISA Firewalls

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 11:20 AM