none
Software Usage Tracker RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hiya

    I have been trying to get the Log Parsing within the Software Usage Tracker working.

    I have made sure that the Security Auditing has been switched on etc as per the guide but I am having problems when the files are parsed.

    I assume that the default location of %systemroot%/config is where I should be pointing the Log Parser - but when I parse the files I get nothing but Status:Internal Error or Unknown Format.

    I am using a domain admin account to access the files.

    Is there anything else I should be doing - or am I looking in the wrong place for the log files?

    I have yet to get to my SP,SQL or Exchange servers - I thought that I'd start with the easiest ones first!

    Kevin Baldwin

     

    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 1:44 PM

All replies

  • ...or am I being obtuse and impatient?

    I have just read through "A Guide to Assessing Windows Server Licensing" from the Licensing Management Series and it implies that 90 days worth of data is needed.

    Do I just set up a folder - run the MAP tool for 90 days - then parse the log files that have been gathered by the MAP tool over the time period?

     

    Kevin

    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:21 PM
  • Has anybody got the Software Usage Tracker working correctly.............

     

    Kevin

    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 11:32 AM
  • as i understand correctly you try to setup the log parser directory to %systemroot%/config?

    why not just a directory like c:\temp\log files\ or a file server?

    and make sure that everybody can access this directory if you have remote users wanting to dump there file there.

     

    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 8:19 AM
  • Kevin,

    I had a heck of a time making this work as well.  My "solution" was to export all the logs from each server into a repository locally on the MAPS server.  Similar to what Rick is suggesting, I then pointed MAPS at the local directory that I had created,\UsageTracking, in my case and viola everything parsed just fine.  I had similar problems when I tested on my own machine by pointing to the "config" directory.  My assumption was that the internal error was created while trying to access a file that was in use.  I have not taken the time to prove this theory however.  I have the Windows server piece working fine now.   However, I can't get the SQL logging portion to work for the life of me.

    • Proposed as answer by Al_Stu34 Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:52 AM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 6:55 PM
  • Al has the correct answer; MAP (by design) won't read an open event log file.  Event logs that have been copied instead of exported have a flag set on them that makes them appear open, and MAP won't read them.

    The correct way to do this is to export the log via the Event Viewer, then point MAP to the exported log file.

     

    Al, start a new thread with details on your SQL logging issue & we'll take a look.  Keep in mind this is only supported on Enterprise and Datacenter editions of SQL 2008 and newer.

    Friday, October 22, 2010 10:18 PM