none
how to use the values in resource unit field, calculated in custom fields RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have custom fields calculating the number of the workers for each task. Than I am typing the number of the workers to the task resource unit fields manually. I am looking for another easy way of using the values calculated in custom fields for entering in task's resource unit fields ?

Regards,

M Oral

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 8:05 AM

All replies

• How are you calculating the numbers of workers for each task in your custom fields?

Have you already decided/estimated the work for each task?

For example, if you have a task called "lay 10000 bricks", have you already decided/estimated that there is 80 hours of work in it, however you have done that, (and 10000 bricks as a material type resource, of course), and have you decided/estimated this before estimating the duration of the task?

Are you entering resource assignments as, say, "bricklayers [200%]", or are you assigning individual people, eg "bricklayer 01, bricklayer 02"? I think you are doing the former. It is not just about how many people are assigned to each task, but also which particular people.

When you assign resources to tasks, do you use the assign resources button and the assign resources dialog?

I will wait for you to answer these questions. Meanwhile, the easy way is to start with a duration and then assign whoever will do it. And the tasks should be broken down until there is only a few people, ie 2 max, assigned to each task. Whatever the work comes to, that is the answer.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 10:35 AM
  • M Oral --

In addition to the excellent answer given to you by my colleague, Trevor, you should know that it is not possible to force Microsoft Project to calculate a Units value based on numbers in custom fields.  Following is a technique I have recommended in the past to users who need Microsoft Project to calculate the number of resources needed to a complete a task:

1. In any task view, such as the Gantt Chart view, make sure you have the default Entry table applied.
    2. Right-click on the Duration column header and select the Insert Column item on the shortcut menu.
    3. In the list of available columns, select the Work column.
    4. Select a task for which you want to calculate the number of resources needed to do the work.
    5. Double-click the task and select the Advanced tab in the Task Information dialog.
    6. Set the Task Type value to Fixed Duration and then click the OK button.
    7. For the selected task, enter your Work estimate in hours and your Duration estimate in days.  Remember that the Duration value represents the "window" of time during which the work must be completed.
    8. In the Assignments section of the Resource ribbon, click the Assign Resources button to display the Assign Resources dialog.
    9. In the Assign Resources dialog, select a resource and then click the Assign button.

Microsoft Project will automatically calculate the Units value for you, indicating the number of resources required to do the planned work in the planned Duration window.  If the work is greater than what a human resource can do in the current Duration window, you should ideally assign a Generic resource rather than a human resource.  For example, if you assign a resource to a task with 360 hours of Work and a Duration of 5 days, Microsoft will calculate a Units value of 900%, indicating that you need 9 full-time workers to complete the task during the 5-day window.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 9:08 PM
  • Dear Mr Rabey,<o:p></o:p>

Thanks for your quick reply. <o:p></o:p>

I am a civil engineer working at the planing department of a contractor company.<o:p></o:p>

My manager wants to know the number of the work force for the structural works of two reinforced concrete building, planned to be built at the same time.<o:p></o:p>

There are three main tasks and workers type. These are RF steel fixers,concrete workers, formwork carpenters.<o:p></o:p>

I have an estimated duration for each task, the quantity of the work, manhour/unit values for these works.<o:p></o:p>

There is a simple formula to calculate the number of the workers ;<o:p></o:p>

#workers= ( quantity x manhour/unit)  / 10 / duration ……… (working hours are 10 hr/day ) <o:p></o:p>

I can see the number of the workers of each task's custom field ( #Workers field ). I am writing them to the task's resource unit fileds manually. I am looking for a built in function or an user defined formula to do this job instead of writing them manually.<o:p></o:p>

Regards,<o:p></o:p>

M Oral <o:p></o:p>

Thursday, September 8, 2016 11:41 AM
  • Dear Mr Howard,

Thanks for your quick response.

I gave a reply to Mr Rabey's post, trying to explain what I am looking for.

Hope it is clear.

Regards,

M Oral 

Thursday, September 8, 2016 11:55 AM
  • Mehmetoral55,

I have to ask, why re-invent the wheel? Project already schedules tasks based on what is called the work equation (i.e. built-in functionality)

Duration = Work/Units

Those are the same elements you have in your custom field equation and Dale gave a very nice methodology for obtaining the units value (i.e. number of workers). Is there a reason you can't use that?

John

Friday, September 9, 2016 2:02 AM
  • John,

You are right, the reason is my manager wants to see the quantities and manhour/unit performances of each task.

He is an old fashioned man ....

M Oral

Friday, September 9, 2016 7:59 AM
  • Maybe just use a spreadsheet on paper or in Excel?  keep it simple for the boss.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Friday, September 9, 2016 12:16 PM
  • mehmetoral55,

Nothing wrong with being "old fashioned", but you can still meet his requirements by letting Project do what it does automatically and then create a custom field to reformat the data as needed (i.e. reverse of what you are trying to do), or as Rob suggests, export the data to Excel to create a management level report.

John

Friday, September 9, 2016 3:43 PM
  • Hi,

I have custom fields calculating the number of the workers for each task. Than I am typing the number of the workers to the task resource unit fields manually. I am looking for another easy way of using the values calculated in custom fields for entering in task's resource unit fields ?

Regards,

M Oral

If I didnot misunderstand your question; there is no way to automate the resource assignments in MS Project unless you implement some sort of VBA solution. I am afraid, it has to be manual. 

Ismet Kocaman | eBook on Formulas

Friday, September 9, 2016 5:19 PM
  • Ismet Bey,

Cevabınız için teşekkür ederim.

VBA çözümü için size nasıl ulaşabilirim.

Selamlar,

M Oral

Saturday, September 17, 2016 6:35 AM
  • Ismet Bey,

Cevabınız için teşekkür ederim.

VBA çözümü için size nasıl ulaşabilirim.

Selamlar,

M Oral

Please post in English.

John is the expert in VBA solutions. If you repost, I believe he could be able to help you in some way. On the other hand, I would recommend you to consider all the excellent suggestions posted above. 

Ismet Kocaman | eBook on Formulas

Saturday, September 17, 2016 7:03 AM
  • mahmetoral55,

It is still not clear why you can't use Project's built-in functionality with respect to resource assignments and then use custom fields, or even export to Excel, as necessary to create the data format your "old fashioned" boss wants.

John

Saturday, September 17, 2016 1:50 PM