Intellipoint 7.1 and Intellimouse 7.1 won't install on Win7 - error code 1603 can't install Microsoft Application Error Reporting RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 7 desktop (ultimate) that I have not been able to install Intellimouse or Intellitype on. The install always crashes with the error code 1603 (can't install Microsoft Application Error Reporting). I have checked a few related services, group policies and registry entries, but I can not find a reason this would not work. Let me know if you find any suggestions, all the other Microsoft software on my computer works including Windows Live programs, wmm, wmp, etc.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:07 PM

All replies

• Have you tried right clicking on the installer as selecting Run as administrator?
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:19 PM
  • Just tried that with Intellimouse, not Intellitype. It didn't work.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:03 PM
  • The 1601 error code supposedly indicates insufficient privileges to run the program.  You can try turning off UAC completely and see if it will they will run.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:43 PM
  • Thanks Rick, I already had UAC turned off.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:35 PM
  • Hi,

Logon the computer as administrator, then try to take ownership of the installation file, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the installation file, choose Properties - Security Tab, click Advanced

2. In the Owner Tab, click your username, check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects ", click Apply and OK.

3. Click Administrator, click Edit, check Allow Full Control, click Apply and OK.

Now try to install it again.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 8:18 AM
  • Intellipoint install failure on Win 7 with error code 603 is a known problem that has been discussed in some depth in the forums.  For example:

Some of the solutions offered are complex and some are simple.  I would try the simple ones first.

Before that, I would download the latest version of Intellipoint and try that.  In a few cases, that was all that was needed.

If that fails, I would try the recommended fixes from Microsoft in the Intellipoint readme file.  Error code 603 messages are discussed.

For example, if you have the Intellipoint installation CD, "go to the Prereq\Watson folder, open the folder for your processor type (32-bit or 64-bit), and then run the MSI file". [from the latest MS readme file for Intellipoint]

Doug M. in NJ

Thursday, April 21, 2011 3:01 PM
  • Thanks Miya. On Win7 x32 I got to Security, Advanced, Owner then there were two options. My username and Admin. Switched from my username to admin, but there was no "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects " option or dialog box. Also no 'Full Control' dialog box. I just changed from username to admin and selected apply. Did not work initially, but I will try a reboot and then try to install again.
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 3:52 AM