Getting a list of users and their AD groups with groups in csv list, 90% there... RRS feed

• Question

• I have a powershell query that looks like this:

(get-aduser -Filter ('SamAccountName -like "Matthew*" -or Name -like "Matthew*"') -Properties MemberOf | Select-Object SamAccountName, Name, UserPrincipalName, MemberOf)

The output looks something like this:

What I am trying to do is use some sort of replace or regex function  so that the MemberOf list is an easy to read list and gets rid of all the

{CN=someCN,OU=asdf,DC=someDC,CN=someOtherCN,OU=someOtherOU,DC=someOtherDC,CN=someother3rdCN....} 

So that is looks like a comma seperated list like this:

someCN,someOtherCN,someother3rdCN   (basically just the CN names)

"Corporate, IT-Group, Billing"  something like that

I just can't figure it out and feel like I have tried every combination.  banging my head on the wall for a couple hours now.

Thanks!
    Matt

• Edited by mschandler Thursday, February 8, 2018 4:49 PM clarify
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 4:31 PM

All replies

• | select -ExpandProperty memberof

Will format like so:

"CN=CNNAME,OU=OUNAME,DC=DCNAME"

Hope this helps. Please remember to use the code pasting cool when posting code.

Thursday, February 8, 2018 4:36 PM
  • So I had tried that previously and couldn't get it to work I guess for 2 reasons?  I'm using Select-Object and also I am selecting a couple different properties.

Maybe some sort of regex or something just to get the cn names parsed from that?

Also I added in the code pasting tool, thank's for the reminder.

Matt

Thursday, February 8, 2018 4:47 PM
  • (Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership).name will being back all the groups in a nice to read manner. Could create a loop that uses the samaccountname of the user to search for the groups this way?

I'm not very good with Regex. Maybe a Google or someone else can help :)

Thursday, February 8, 2018 5:21 PM
  • Get-AdUser -Filter ('SamAccountName -like "Matthew*" -or Name -like "Matthew*"') -Properties MemberOf | Select-Object SamAccountName, Name, UserPrincipalName, @{e={(Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership -identity $_.Name).name};L='MemberOf'}
    The above code will suffice your requirement.

Regards kvprasoon

Thursday, February 8, 2018 7:02 PM