Apple watch after approval message 'something went wrong' RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

After installing watchOS 7 I approve the authenticator pop on my watch I receive the message 'something went wrong'. I can only get the approval to work to do this from the app on my iphone. Anybody else got the same problem? Is it watchos7 related?

Thursday, September 17, 2020 11:29 AM

Answers

• Hello Fellow(s),

Have you tried to disable Applock in MS Auth app? After turning that off, I could manage MFA again.

Regards,

Csabi

• Proposed as answer by Ilpo Juvander Saturday, September 19, 2020 1:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Chiel Dekker Monday, September 21, 2020 7:30 AM
    Saturday, September 19, 2020 10:02 AM

All replies

• Hello Same problem after update to watchos7
    Thursday, September 17, 2020 1:09 PM
  • I have the same issue.  Started happening when I installed the iOS 14 Beta on my iPhone.  I hoped it was just a "beta software is not supported" thing, but since the general release of iOS 14 and WatchOS 7, the problem still occurs.

I tried deleting and recreating the accounts that I authenticated via the watch.  No luck - still the same error message.

• Edited by NSTim Thursday, September 17, 2020 3:04 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2020 2:53 PM
  • have exactly the same as you, started with iOS 14 beta and watchOS 7.0 beta... hopefully the fix will be there soon..;)
    Thursday, September 17, 2020 3:17 PM
  • Same thing here, starting today after official release of iOS 14 and watchOS 7. Also after reinstall of watch part of Authenticator, it doesn’t sees any account installed on iPhone in phone part of Authenticator.
    • Edited by panatar Thursday, September 17, 2020 6:17 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2020 6:14 PM
  • same here after iOS14 and watchOS7. Reinstalled app and registration - no good. Approval works on phone just not the watch...
    Thursday, September 17, 2020 7:00 PM
  • Same issue. Tried deleting the app on the watch and can now no longer add any accounts to it. Notifications on the watch had been working on the betas.
    Thursday, September 17, 2020 7:25 PM
  • Posting here that the same thing is happening to me.  Can approve from iPhone or iPad Pro but not watch.

Thursday, September 17, 2020 8:35 PM
  • Same issue. Tried deleting the app on the watch and can now no longer add any accounts to it. Notifications on the watch had been working on the betas.
    I removed the app and put it back, but had to delete my personal MS account off the phone and re-add it to get the watch app to add my account back on.  Also, notifications work just fine on the watch, but when you tap Approve, it says something went wrong.  
    Thursday, September 17, 2020 8:47 PM
  • Sama thing, even removed and added account in again, no luck. Broken it is. Works on iPhone, all my accounts are visible on Apple Watch, but cannot approve on any of the accounts.
    Friday, September 18, 2020 5:07 AM
  • Same for me also. Authenticator app hasn't been updated for 2 weeks. Hopefully they push a new version soon. 
    • Edited by JonnySharp Friday, September 18, 2020 8:24 AM
    Friday, September 18, 2020 8:22 AM
  • Also having the same issue with both personal and work accounts.  I removed both my personal and work accounts from Authenticator, adding them back, but the "Something Went Wrong" error on Apple Watch persists.

I started having this issue only after updating my iPhone X to iOS 14 and my Apple Watch Series 4 to WatchOS 7.  I upgraded both the iPhone and Apple Watch OSes at the same time, so I cannot say if it's one or the other causing the issue.

Currently, I always receive the notification to the watch, but when selecting "Approve" I receive the "Something Went Wrong" error.  If I then open the Authenticator app on my iPhone, it will have the notification available, I can select "Approve" there, and be logged in.

So, fortunately I'm not completely locked out, but this is definitely a degradation of features and clearly a bug that needs fixing.

Friday, September 18, 2020 12:30 PM
  • Glad to see I'm not alone. Thought I was going crazy there for a moment. Watch app doesn't add accounts after installing.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Friday, September 18, 2020 3:58 PM
  • Glad it wasn't just me going crazy.  Apple released iOS 14 too all of the sudden or MS dropped the ball on getting the app update ready in time.
    Friday, September 18, 2020 5:59 PM
  • Hello Fellow(s),

Have you tried to disable Applock in MS Auth app? After turning that off, I could manage MFA again.

Regards,

Csabi

• Proposed as answer by Ilpo Juvander Saturday, September 19, 2020 1:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Chiel Dekker Monday, September 21, 2020 7:30 AM
    Saturday, September 19, 2020 10:02 AM
  • Excellent! This did the trick!
    Saturday, September 19, 2020 1:11 PM
  • Thanks - worked for me as well.
    Saturday, September 19, 2020 9:35 PM
  • Thanks Csabi!!
    Sunday, September 20, 2020 5:35 PM
  • that did the trick, thanks Csabi!

Monday, September 21, 2020 7:32 AM
  • Turning off app lock within the Authenticator app on the iPhone fixed it for me 
    Monday, September 21, 2020 2:01 PM
  • Thank you, Csabi. This worked.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2020 11:54 AM
  • my app lock hadn't been on to start with. I have tried to lock and unlock but it did not help. Apple watch side still have the same issue :(
    Tuesday, September 22, 2020 2:41 PM
  • Disabling Applock worked for me.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2020 7:41 PM
  • This did not work for me.  Still getting the something went wrong error message.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2020 8:16 PM
  • Disabling App Lock in Authenticator > Menu > Settings > App Lock only fixed the issue for my work account but my other personal accounts still give the "Something went wrong" message when approving requests on my Apple Watch.

Approving requests on the iPhone continues to work however.

Wednesday, September 23, 2020 12:30 AM
  • Have you try to resolve it by updating the watch, may be some bugs are there the updation will fix the bug and you watch work properly
    Wednesday, September 23, 2020 5:58 AM
  • Hi Nufka,

Have you tried to delete all previously set token and re-add them? (I know it's not a solution even if you do not have many account already)

Wednesday, September 23, 2020 1:18 PM
  • Hello,

I'm glad (all of you, whom it worked). I have to emphasize that it should be only a temporary solution, App Lock is important!

@Microsoft: please dive into this issue, I assume it is an app issue, where authentication process stuck somehow on Apple Watch with OS7

Cheers,

Csabi

Wednesday, September 23, 2020 1:23 PM
  • Hello.

I have the same experience (Disabling App Lock in Authenticator > Menu > Settings > App Lock only fixed the issue for my work account but my other personal accounts still give the "Something went wrong" message when approving requests on my Apple Watch.)

I've spent more than one hour for trying many possibilities for solving this issue. No success. It looks like a bug inside of the app.

Petr

• Edited by Petr.RA.CZ Sunday, September 27, 2020 5:58 AM
    Sunday, September 27, 2020 5:57 AM
  • Hello Fellow(s),

Regards,

Csabi

Worked for me too! 

Apple Watch series 3 running WatchOS 7.0.1 and iPhone X running iOS 14.0.1

MSFT Authenticator App for iOS 6.4.26

Wednesday, September 30, 2020 11:36 PM
  • There is an issue with approving notifications on watchOS 7, and we’re working with Apple to get this fixed. In the meantime, any notifications that require the Microsoft Authenticator watchOS app should be approved on your phone instead.
    Friday, October 2, 2020 5:43 PM
  • There is an issue with approving notifications on watchOS 7, and we’re working with Apple to get this fixed. In the meantime, any notifications that require the Microsoft Authenticator watchOS app should be approved on your phone instead.
    Friday, October 2, 2020 5:44 PM
    Friday, October 2, 2020 5:45 PM
  • Thanks! Works for me.
    Sunday, October 4, 2020 5:46 PM
  • Ok, understood. Foor now, disabling applock in the authenticator app works fine until the issue is solved.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2020 5:27 PM
  • Thanks ... Worked for me too
    Thursday, October 15, 2020 7:14 AM
  • Hello.

I have the same experience (Disabling App Lock in Authenticator > Menu > Settings > App Lock only fixed the issue for my work account but my other personal accounts still give the "Something went wrong" message when approving requests on my Apple Watch.)

I've spent more than one hour for trying many possibilities for solving this issue. No success. It looks like a bug inside of the app.

Petr

Opposite for me.  Works for my other accounts, just not my work one.
    Friday, October 30, 2020 1:53 PM

Any updates here? Still broken.

Computer Solutions Group Lead Engineer www.csgsupport.net

Thursday, November 5, 2020 9:03 PM
  • While this is just a workaround we still need a solution. Disabling the app lock will just get us a little bit unsafe.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2020 1:54 PM
  • Mine was already disabled - and doesn't work.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2020 2:33 AM
  • Is this ever going to be fixed?  This bug makes the watch authenticator app completely useless.  Disabling Applock does not fix this problem for me, nor has updating watchOS or the Authenticator app.  Any status update would be much appreciated.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2020 9:11 PM
  • I think I have the solution. You need to turn off Face ID or Passcode lock on the Authenticator app on your iPhone. As soon as I did that I was able to approve on my Apple Watch.

Directions:

1. Open the MS Authenticator app.

2. Click on the hamburger icon on top left and go to Settings.

3. Disable "App Lock" by clicking the toggle to off position.

• Edited by 808analyst Friday, November 13, 2020 12:24 AM
    Friday, November 13, 2020 12:23 AM
  • Worked for me as well thank you everyone. 
    Sunday, November 15, 2020 5:06 PM
  • I have tried this multiple times.  It never works.  I have uninstalled reinstalled setup accounts for authenticator multiple times.  Still cannot approve and get something went wrong message.  Totally broken for me.
    Sunday, November 15, 2020 5:16 PM
  • That workaround does not work for me either, correct if you read this :

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/user-help/user-help-auth-app-faq?WT.mc_id=Portal-Microsoft_Azure_Support#apple-watch-watchos-7

Q: Why I am having issues with Apple Watch on watchOS 7?

A: There is an issue with approving notifications on watchOS 7, and we’re working with Apple to get this fixed. In the meantime, any notifications that require the Microsoft Authenticator watchOS app should be approved on your phone instead.

• Edited by MarTTijn Wednesday, November 18, 2020 10:29 AM no URL added
    Wednesday, November 18, 2020 10:29 AM