How to get hold of App-V 4.6 for windows 7? RRS feed

• General discussion

• VMWare thinapps has been in the market for a while and proven the ease of use for end users scenario. What is the position of App-V ?
    Is there a trail version for App-V without have to load whole ton of Microsoft Enterprise package ?

Thanks 
    Monday, July 13, 2009 3:06 AM

All replies

• Hello,

APP-V 4.5 CU1 is working on Windows 7 32-bit. Should be available via Microsoft Connect or your MVLS / MSDN-account.

APP-V 4.6 has 64-bit as the main focus and this should be available for the TAP-program or beta during the fall. Release is estimated at H1 2010.

/ZNack
    Monday, July 13, 2009 6:53 AM
  • I think Microsoft App-V has been around longer(years) than Vmware ThinApp(Thinstall) to a larger public. Microsoft acquired a company called Softricity which developed a product called SoftGrid. Microsoft adopted this name in the first year and later renamed this to App-V( or Application Virtualization).

Microsoft App-V is the only application virtualization solution which currently officially supports Windows 7. This is in version 4.5 CU1 so you don’t have to wait on version 4.6. Version 4.6 is now (I think) in the Technology Adoption Program of Microsoft. I know it’s not available to the general public at the moment.

When you have a Microsoft Technet Subscription you may be able to get the 4.5 software there. App-V for the desktop is in Microsoft Desktop Optimalization Pack or MDOP. The version for terminal servers is a separate licensed version. Maybe you can ask your Microsoft contact? I'm not aware of a "trail download".

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jurjen van Leeuwen

Monday, July 13, 2009 7:13 AM
  • As others have said, the App-V licensing is tied to MDOP subscription available to volume customers (for desktop versions) and is separately licensed (for Terminal Server version).

There is no trial download per se, but if you have MSDN or Technet subscription you should be able to download MDOP 2009 package from the subscription downloads, which can be used to evaluate the product. There is a separate download for the TS version, but infrastructure-wise the only difference is the client -piece, packaging tool and backend -infrastructure (which you don't have to use, especially if only testing the packaging and running the apps with the client [in standalone mode]). So no need for "ton of Microsoft Enterprise package" if you just want to test it ;-)

And yes, 4.6 is in TAP right now and is focused on 64-bit support (which admittedly is little bit behind, compared to likes of ThinApp, but that's partly due to different way these two products are implemented technically; kernel- vs. usermode app virtualization).

btw, interestingly enough, App-V (Softgrid) and ThinApp (Thinstall) have actually existed about the same time in the market, but both products have changed significantly from what they originally were to what they are today so the comparison [of age] is little bit meaningless when it comes to "how good they are".

br,
    Kalle
    Monday, July 13, 2009 8:52 AM