How to make 32-bit-only add-ons work with Windows 7, Internet Explorer 11 and Enhanced Protected Mode enabled? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

in IE10 I had the chance to use 32-bit-tabs even with EPM. In IE11 my 32-bit add-ons are all marked as "incompatible".

Do you have any suggestions?

Regards, Don

• Edited by Don Felino Tuesday, January 13, 2015 9:21 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 9:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Don,

I am afraid the only way to solve this issue is to download the 64 bit version of these add-ons or contact with the developer to get a 64 bit version since only the 64 bit add-ons can be compatible with the Enhanced mode in Internet Explorer 11.

Best regards

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 3:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

EPM means that only 64bit Addons and plugins are allowed to run.

By default EPM is on in the Internet and off in the trusted and intranet zones.

For public access sites you should compile and distribute both 32bit and 64bit versions of your addon.

Post questions about IE Addons development to the IE Extensions Development forum.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 7:57 AM
  • Hi Don,

The ”Enhanced Protected Mode ” feature of  Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 7 has been simplified and it doesn`t provide the “Enable 64-bit processes for Enhanced Protected Mode” feature. The Enhanced Protected  Mode is based on the 64 bit process. So that may be the reason.

Here is a link for reference of Enhanced Protected Mode :
    Enhanced Protected Mode
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2012/03/14/enhanced-protected-mode.aspx

Here is another link for reference(Pay attention Windows 7 part in the end) :
    How Internet Explorer Enhanced Protected Mode (EPM) is enabled under different configurations
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/asiatech/archive/2013/12/25/how-internet-explorer-enhanced-protected-mode-epm-is-enabled-under-different-configurations.aspx

Best regards 

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 10:21 AM
  • Hi Rob & MeipoXu, thank you for your answers and the links provided.

I'm not a developer. I'm an old-fashioned system administrator.

I tested Internet Explorer 11, because Microsoft Update Catalog presented this IE11 update to me.

It's still like in IE10, that IE11 is launched with a 64-bit-process and every additional tab gets its own process 32-bit or 64-bit, depending on if the web site is intra- or internet.

Different is that IE10 accepted every 32-bit-only add-on. IE11 works merely with add-ons that have 32-bit and 64-bit architecture. Why? And: Can I workaround this? For me it is not a solution to turn off EPM.

Best regards

Don

• Edited by Don Felino Thursday, January 15, 2015 9:25 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 9:22 AM
  • To bring the problem in one sentence:

Even on intranet sites or sites, which are disabled for EPM via the reg key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TabProcConfig my 32-bit-only add-ons remain "incompatible". 

For example: Java SSV Helpers or Acrobat 10 toolbar

Thursday, January 15, 2015 10:11 AM
  • Hi,

go to http://java.com and update your Java JRT version.

while you are there also install the 64bit version of Java JRT.

see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/08/06/internet-explorer-begins-blocking-out-of-date-activex-controls.aspx

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Friday, January 16, 2015 2:03 AM
  • Hi Rob,

thanks for your reply. My Java version is up to date. The blog toppic you mentioned aims to another feature of internet explorer. The REG_DWORD HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ext\VersionCheckEnabled does not change the situation for my add-ons being "incompatibel".

The following message appears after starting the browser.

"Several add-ons can't run because they aren't compatible with Internet Explorer's enhanced security features. These settings are managed by your system administrator. More info"

To answer your last question: I wanted to deploy Internet Explorer 11 and these tests are necessary in advance. If I have no chance to change this behavior, I will not update and keep version 10.

Why do these add-ons work with IE10 and not with IE11?

Best regards
    Don

• Edited by Don Felino Monday, January 19, 2015 11:55 AM
    Monday, January 19, 2015 8:01 AM
  • Hi,

which addons?....

Tools>Manage Addons>Show all addons...... select the addons from the list that aren't working and copy/paste back.

If they are Java JRT satellite BHOS' then you also need to uninstall the previous versions.

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/remove_olderversions.xml

Rob^_^

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 1:54 AM
  • Thanks for your support Rob,

these are the add-ons, that are considered as "incompatible":

Adobe Systems, Incorporated, Version 10.1.13.16 - "SmartSelect Class" AcroIEFavClient.dll
    Adobe Systems, Incorporated, Version 10.1.13.16 - "Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper" AcroIEFavClient.dll
    Adobe Systems, Incorporated, Version 10.1.13.16 - "Adobe PDF" AcroIEFavClient.dll
    Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper, Version 7.0.710.14 - "Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper" jp2ssv.dll
    Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper, Version 7.0.710.14 - "Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper" ssv.dll

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 8:25 AM
  • Does anybody have a solution?
    Monday, January 26, 2015 7:42 AM
  • Hi Don,

I am afraid the only way to solve this issue is to download the 64 bit version of these add-ons or contact with the developer to get a 64 bit version since only the 64 bit add-ons can be compatible with the Enhanced mode in Internet Explorer 11.

Best regards

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 3:12 AM