none
The case of the Disappearing Tasks (MSP 2010) RRS feed

• Question

• I have several sub projects in individial MSP files all linked to a Master Schedule in MSP in a seperate file (all on the same network drive and folder).

On occasion, i will loose data in both the sub project file and master file. Summary task names remain but sub tasks names and all associated data (durateions , dates, etc.) dissapear.

This is very frustrating as we are managing approx $50million in multipe projects via MSP 2010 for first time.

When simulating the error, if I add or hide a column in any one of the linked files, I notice that some tasks will do harry houdini in both the sub project file and the master file.

Help!

Is this a bug?

• Moved by Sean Jenkin Friday, August 12, 2011 4:45 PM (From:MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile and Recognition System Discussions)
    Friday, August 12, 2011 1:30 AM

Answers

• It is just possible that this is a problem caused by network "dropouts", while you have the files open for editing.

I have no idea why they would occur, but a similar problem was observed with MSP2007 running locally and the MSP files were all on other network drives.

So, does the problem ever occur if you copy/paste all of the files onto the local drive, edit them there and then copy/paste them back to the network drive?

And, of course, check for Cumulative Upgrades.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Slick,

Welcome to this Microsoft Project forum:)

Have you installed SP1?  Are you using Project Server? If so, you should also install the CU (Cumulative Updates)

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address:  http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :)

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP
    See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials
    Friday, August 12, 2011 6:37 PM
  • It is just possible that this is a problem caused by network "dropouts", while you have the files open for editing.

I have no idea why they would occur, but a similar problem was observed with MSP2007 running locally and the MSP files were all on other network drives.

So, does the problem ever occur if you copy/paste all of the files onto the local drive, edit them there and then copy/paste them back to the network drive?

And, of course, check for Cumulative Upgrades.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:23 AM