none
Moving to a new DPM server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a DPM that is up and running.

I decided to change the Nas that im using to another brand.

i setupt the new server (server 2) and the ISCSI NAS. And the old server is still running (server 1)

What i need is:

Stop backup that is running from Server1 for a protected server (PS1). Keep the data for the protected server for 30 days with the ability to make restore.

And make Server 2 take backup instead of server 1 for the same protected server (PS1).

So i will be able to move gradually from server1 to server 2.

Any ideas?

Laith

Take a new backup

Monday, November 15, 2010 1:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Danny,

What i did is the following.

1. Delete the protection group and keeping retain data.

2. Point the agent in the Protected Server to the new DPM server.

3. Run backup on the new server.

4. If i need to restore from the old server. I add the group one more time and i will be able to recover old items.

5. After the retention time will pass i will delete the data on server 1.

Thanks for your time Danny. Appreciate your help.

// Laith.

• Marked as answer by Laith IT Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:02 PM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:02 PM

All replies

• In the past we've used a similar method for DPM server migrations. If you are able to it will be a smoother migration if you are using the same version of DPM and Hotfix Rolup versions in both environments - to match the version of the client agent you have installed.

You will need to migrate on a server by server basis as a single DPM agent cannot be protected by more than one DPM server.

1. Stop protection on the servers protected data sources that you want to migrate and retain the disk based recovery points (existing RP's will be restorable to a location that server 1 has an agent installed on)
    2. On the protected DPM server run the setdpmserver.exe -dpmservername server 2 to point the protected server to the new DPM server, Server 2. (Setdpmserver.exe can be found in c:\program files\microsoft DPM\DPM\bin)
    3. On the DPM Server Server 2, use either the powershell script attach-productionserver.ps1 to connect that server to DPM (If DPM 2007) or use the install agent option in DPM 2010 and then the attach server option.
    4. Configure protection groups for that server

Information on installing and attaching clients can be found here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808840.aspx for DPM 2007 and http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399686.aspx for DPM 2010.

If you're clients are not at the same level as the new DPM Server 2 (If the server 1 is DPM 2007 and server 2 is DPM 2010) then you will need to uninstall the old agent version from the server (which may require a restart) and use push installation from the DPM management console.

Hope this helps

• Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Tuesday, November 16, 2010 1:00 PM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 1:00 AM
  • Hi Danny,

Many thanks for your replay.

From what i understand from above is that.

You are moving server1 (old server) to server 2 (new server).

But you are using the same Storage. You just re-point the agent on the protectied server to server 2.

This is not my case. Im using a new server and a new Storage. My main problem is that i have to keep the data for 30 days. If i need to restore data. How will i do that since the agent will point to the new server which is connect to a new storage?

What i was thinking about is like the following.

1. Install DPM 2010 on server2.

2. Connect Storage 2 (new storage) to server 2

3. Turn of server 1 and keep it connect storage 1 (old storage).

4. Repoint the agents on the protected server to the server 2.

5. Start a new backup on server 2.

6. If i need to restore data from storage 1 that is connected to server1. The i will turn on server 1 again. Repoint the agent on the protected server to server 1 and do the restore.

Will Step 6 work?

I'm trying to test it in the meantime and i will get back to you as well. I wonder if there is another way?

// Laith.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 1:45 PM
  • Hi Laith,

We have done this with new storage for DPM server 2 (from your example).

The recovery points will remain on DPM server 1 as long as that server and storage are available. Correct you won't be able to do a direct restore of data because your agents will be homed to DPM Server 2. You will be able to restore the data to an alternate location on either the local DPM server or a server that has an agent still connected to DPM server 1 or a temporary external disk that has adequate space to do your restores (if a large restore is required). So during the migration period you will have additional work for restoring data.
    If this method won't work for you then there is one other way to achieve this.

Configure DPM Server 2 as a Secondary DPM server to DPM Server 1 (They will both need to be the same versions for this to take place). Configure your protection of the data on DPM Server 2 as you require. When you have the same or more recovery points on the Secondary DPM server you can switch protection from the primary DPM server to the secondary DPM server to continue protection and then decommission DPM Server 1. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808972.aspx or referenced in this post for DPM 2010 protection switch.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:04 PM
  • Hi Danny,

What i did is the following.

1. Delete the protection group and keeping retain data.

2. Point the agent in the Protected Server to the new DPM server.

3. Run backup on the new server.

4. If i need to restore from the old server. I add the group one more time and i will be able to recover old items.

5. After the retention time will pass i will delete the data on server 1.

Thanks for your time Danny. Appreciate your help.

// Laith.

• Marked as answer by Laith IT Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:02 PM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:02 PM