Backup time greatly increased on Fridays RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone

Our SBS 2003 with Exchange SP2 is backed up daily in full.  We use BU Exec 11d and there are no reports of any errors.  All days except Friday it takes circa 8 hours.  Friday night through to Sat am takes 11 or so and this is repeatable each week.

Checking the BU Exec logs shows that most days there are the stores and 1 log file backed up but on Fridays there are 18 log files and it's these that seem to extend the backup period.

We have circular logging enabled.

If anyone has any guidance on a solution, I'd be grateful.

Many thanks

David

Saturday, October 29, 2011 11:47 AM

Answers

• Thanks very much for the replies and with sincere apologies, I had forgotten that NOD32 is set to scan the system at 0400 on a Saturday morning - bang in the middle of the BU Exec period.

I'll just respond to one of the questions : Why are you doing circular logging? 

It was set up like that as we had the small Dell partitions.  I've sinced moved the databases so I could also move the log folder.  Is that a better option ?

Once again, sorry for bothering you with a non-existent problem.

David

• Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Friday, November 4, 2011 1:47 AM
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Im sure youre aware of the consequences of circular logging , you can recover Exchange Server data only up until the last full backup, which seems like youre doing anyway, but anything in between the full backup you wont be able to recover or if your backups fails in  a partuclar day, then you will have to go to yourlast full backup.

I'm guessing that it may have been setup like that due to the small partition and therefore it was complemented to use full backups. 

Sukh
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Thanks very much for the replies and with sincere apologies, I had forgotten that NOD32 is set to scan the system at 0400 on a Saturday morning - bang in the middle of the BU Exec period.

It was set up like that as we had the small Dell partitions.  I've sinced moved the databases so I could also move the log folder.  Is that a better option ?

David

Glad you got that figured out.

Be sure to exclude the Exchange directories from any flat-file scanning:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823166

If you have the space now, definetely disable circular logging. The Full backups will purge any committed logs after the Exchange aware backups are successful.

(oops. Forgot add. Once you disable circular logging, it will require a dismount/remount. After that - get a full backup ASAP!)

• Edited by Andy DavidMVP Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Friday, November 4, 2011 1:48 AM
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:38 PM

All replies

• Why are you doing circular logging?

and the next question, are you doing mailbox level backups as well? It sounds  like it.

Im guessing that Friday's is a full backup and the other days are incremental and you are doing those in addition to mailbox level backups. Just a guess.

Saturday, October 29, 2011 1:27 PM
  • You say you're doing full backups daily, are you sure they are full? and not copy full, diff , incr etc...?

Even if you have these 18 logs files, it shouldnt take that long?

Are there any other backups running concurrently with this job?

Are you sure there isnt a verify running after?

The other backups during the week are successfull?

Sukh
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:56 PM

David

Saturday, October 29, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Im sure youre aware of the consequences of circular logging , you can recover Exchange Server data only up until the last full backup, which seems like youre doing anyway, but anything in between the full backup you wont be able to recover or if your backups fails in  a partuclar day, then you will have to go to yourlast full backup.

I'm guessing that it may have been setup like that due to the small partition and therefore it was complemented to use full backups. 

Sukh
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:20 PM

David

Glad you got that figured out.

Be sure to exclude the Exchange directories from any flat-file scanning:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823166

If you have the space now, definetely disable circular logging. The Full backups will purge any committed logs after the Exchange aware backups are successful.

(oops. Forgot add. Once you disable circular logging, it will require a dismount/remount. After that - get a full backup ASAP!)

• Edited by Andy DavidMVP Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Friday, November 4, 2011 1:48 AM
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:38 PM
  • Please confirm Exec 11 settings for backup. Also, circular logging is not recommended from Microsoft.
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 12:24 PM
  • Please confirm Exec 11 settings for backup. Also, circular logging is not recommended from Microsoft.

If using a DAG with at least 4 replicated copies of a store, circular logging is viable solution. No backups!
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 1:11 PM