mailbox server appears service down but it is working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I have 4 Exchange 2010 SP2 servers in 2 sites,  2 mailbox & 2 hubcas Servers , no DAG is configured  , while monitoring mailbox and database copies in the Exchange console (on all exchange servers EMC ) it indicates that service is down and not active on mailbox server A.

Note that on the Mailbox server A itself in the Exchange console , databases appear to be running . and actually everything is working fine but I am worried about this issue, anybody can assist to justify.

Regards

Elias Dayeh

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 11:22 AM

All replies

• Are these newly opened consoles?  And can these servers access other aspects of the "down server", such as the in Services or Event Viewer consoles?
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 1:54 PM
  • 1. no , I always used to monitor Exchange through this EMC console .

2. yes , I can open services & event viewer of remote "down server" using consoles of Hub/CAS server.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 2:30 PM
  • If the consoles aren't opened fresh, they will have stale information in frames that aren't refreshed.  For instance, if you have the focus on the top of the organization databases page (with one of the databases selected), and you refresh the screen, you will only refresh the top frame.  If you select the bottom frame, you will only refresh the bottom frame - and only for the current database.  The only way I've found to get a full refresh is to close the console and reopen it.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 2:46 PM
  • with closing and reopening the console still the same "servicedown"
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 3:15 PM
  • Interesting.  What do you get when you run Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus in a EMS session?
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 4:04 PM
  • This is from the EMS of HUB/CAS server EMS:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus  -Server aks-server4

Name                                          Status          CopyQueue ReplayQueue LastInspectedLogTime   ContentIndex
                                                                  Length    Length                             State
    ----                                          ------          --------- ----------- --------------------   ------------
    Kargo\AKS-SERVER4                             ServiceDown     0         0                                  Unknown
    AksTT\AKS-SERVER4                             ServiceDown     0         0                                  Unknown
    Aks Amman\AKS-SERVER4                         ServiceDown     0         0                                  Unknown

=================================================================

And This is from the Mailbox Server EMS:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus -Server aks-server4

Name                                          Status          CopyQueue ReplayQueue LastInspectedLogTime   ContentIndex
                                                                  Length    Length                             State
    ----                                          ------          --------- ----------- --------------------   ------------
    Kargo\AKS-SERVER4                             Mounted         0         0                                  Healthy
    AksTT\AKS-SERVER4                             Mounted         0         0                                  Healthy
    Aks Amman\AKS-SERVER4                         Mounted         0         0                                  Healthy

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 7:51 PM
  • It's almost as if your HUB/CAS doesn't have a reliable connection to the mailbox server.  I know that from the CAS's I have at home, I can see what is going on with my DAG members, but I have no mailbox-only servers to test against.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 7:58 PM
  • Hi,

The Copy Status Copy Status means that the Microsoft Exchange Replication service is not running on the server that hosts the mailbox database copy.

Please try to restart the Replication Service on these Servers to check this issue.

Also, please check whether there is any relevant error event in the Event Viewer.

Best Regards.

Thursday, November 27, 2014 8:00 AM
  • This may be possible in case if you have stale/Incorrect entries in Hosts File.

Validate your Hosts File entries and make sure to remove any incorrect references.

Additionally, you can also remove the EMC Cache on the Server which shows service down.

C:\Users\<CurrentUser>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC

Delete or Move the Cache File with Name "Exchange Management Console"

Pavan Maganti ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful&quot; if it really helps and &quot;Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is &quot;AS IS&quot; and confers NO Rights!!

• Proposed as answer by PK M Monday, February 15, 2016 10:28 AM
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 12:02 PM
  • when pinging to the mailbox server ipv6 it was "request timed out" , don't know why !! , despite that the ping to ipv4 was working well .

however, have restarted the server and everything went to normal.

Thanks all for your replies.

Regards

Elias Dayeh

Sunday, November 30, 2014 7:56 AM
  • did you check the hosts file? check and confirm!

Pavan Maganti ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful&quot; if it really helps and &quot;Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is &quot;AS IS&quot; and confers NO Rights!!

Monday, December 1, 2014 11:43 AM
  • Elias, do you hae IPv6 disabled on your mailbox server?  This would be a possible explanation for why a ping on IPv6 failed.
    Monday, December 1, 2014 1:25 PM
  • Dears,

Any update on this?? we have the same exact issue??

Servers with CAS/MBX exchange 2013 are not able to get the database and database copy status for remote and different sites servers. Although the database status is known for the server itself and the copies in the same site.

This will happen when you have both servers having all exchange 2013 roles and in different sites.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 9:27 AM
  • Hi Ahmad,

The issue was solved,

1.checking time synchronization between DCs and the Exchange servers as well using:

C:\> net time \\domain.controller /set

2.verifying AD sync is running well using:

C:\> repadmin /replsum

C:\> repadmin /showrepl

3.Restart of Exchange server was useful

Regards

Elias Dayeh

• Proposed as answer by PK M Monday, February 15, 2016 10:28 AM
    Thursday, February 4, 2016 10:59 AM