none
DPM 2010 error 270 communicating with protection agent RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

Getting the below error on DPM2010 when installing an agent to a remote computer:

Protection agent version: 3.0.7696.0

Error: Data Protection Manager Error ID: 270

The agent operation failed on WLGEXCH1.mpia.govt.nz because DPM could not communicate with the DPM protection agent. The computer may be protected by another DPM server, or the protection agent may have been uninstalled on the protected computer.

If WLGEXCH1.mpia.govt.nz is a workgroup server, the password for the DPM user account could have been changed or may have expired.

Recommended action: Check the following to troubleshoot this issue: 

1) If the agent is not installed on WLGEXCH1.mpia.govt.nz, run DpmAgentInstaller.exe with this DPM computer as a parameter. For details, see the DPM Deployment Guide.

2) To attach the computer correctly to this DPM server, run the SetDpmServer tool on the protected computer.

3) If the computer is protected by another DPM server, or if the protection agent has been uninstalled, remove the protected data sources on this computer from active protection. Then, remove the entry of this computer from the Agents tab in the Management task area.

4) If WLGEXCH1.mpia.govt.nz is a workgroup server, run SetDpmServer with the -UpdatePassword flag on the protected computer and Update-NonDomainServerInfo.ps1 on the DPM server to update the password.

5) If the DPM server and the protected computer are not in the same domain, ensure that there is a two-way trust setup between the two domains.

If the computer is protected by another DPM server, or if the protection agent has been uninstalled, you can remove the record of the computer from this DPM server.

Remove the record of the computer from this DPM server.

I have tried every suggestion available to rectify this, including checking DCOM errors, manual installs, attaching via PS, turning off firewalls. There has been an agent on the remote computer when DPM 2007 but this was removed completely some time ago. The remote computer is running exchange on Server 2008, which is on a VMWare VM. I have also tested on a workstation and the protection agent installs fine.

Any further suggestions greatly appreciated.

- Scott 
    • Moved by MarcReynolds Monday, March 7, 2011 1:05 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 8:04 PM

All replies

• Im now building a new Server 2008 R2 SP1 platform so I can add the protection agent and test before setting up a new Exchange 2010 SP1 server. Let's hope this works...

I should also point out that these servers are vmware guests in an esxi host..

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:00 PM