Need help with creating client side rule for distribution list Outlook 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

One of the users belongs to Distribution list in Office 365 which has 6 users in it

What he wants is..to be a part of that distribution group but only receive emails from one user in that group and not the others. I have been trying to figure out how to set a client side rule on his computer for that but of the life of me i cant seem to figure it out. 

Any help would be much appreciated,

cheers  

Monday, July 10, 2017 2:16 PM

All replies

• anyone :( ?
    Monday, July 10, 2017 4:13 PM
  • Hi UserLookOut,

>> What he wants is..to be a part of that distribution group but only receive emails from one user in that group and not the others. 

By "distribution group", do you mean the Office 365 group or the Distribution List in Outlook?
    Could you please share a screenshot about the distribution group via OneDrive then our community can help you better?

If the user only wants to stop emails sent from the other four users appearing in his Inbox, you may consider adding their email addresses into the Blocked Senders List via Home > Junk > Junk Email Options:

An alternative is that you may create client-only rule to delete or permanently delete emails sent from particular people:

1. Create a new rule on messages you receive, select from people or public group, click "people or public group" and add the email addresses of the four users, click Next:

2. Select Delete or Permanently Delete at appropriate, click Next, Next, choose Run this rule now on messages already in Inbox if necessary, click Finish to apply the rule: 

If the user is using Office 365 group and is attempting to prevent particular emails from showing up in the Group folder, I am afraid currently this might not be realized using the built-in features in Outlook.

Hope my clarification is clear and helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 9:24 AM
  • Hey 

its in Office 365 Admin > Groups > Distribution list  ( list contains 6 email addresses, he only wants to receive email from one of the people in that list/group) However he does not want to block any of the contacts from emailing him personally, he only wants to block group emails except that one person if that makes sense ? 

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:20 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Could you please provide more details about what you mean by "he only wants to block group emails except that one person"? 

Based on my knowledge, I am afraid we may not block mails without using rules or Junk email filter.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:43 AM