BSOD when put to Sleep RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, 

In the last week or so, my machine (HP Media Center m7760n + nVidia GEForce 250) has been giving me BSOD whenever I put it to sleep.  I enabled the Small Memory Dump, tried to put it to sleep, causing BSOD and checked the C:/Windows/Minidump folder after restart - it was empty.  

BSOD says INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR, then several STOP codes.  Below is the error message from Event Viewer - the critical error from right after the last BSOD.

- System

- Provider
          [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
          [ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated
          [ SystemTime] 2010-11-06T19:23:56.242025900Z

EventRecordID 103103

Correlation

- Execution
          [ ProcessID] 4
          [ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer SHINY_METAL_ASS

- Security
          [ UserID] S-1-5-18
    - EventData
        BugcheckCode 160
        BugcheckParameter1 0x9
        BugcheckParameter2 0xc000009c
        BugcheckParameter3 0x1
        BugcheckParameter4 0x0
        SleepInProgress true
        PowerButtonTimestamp 0

I also suspect I may have a bad RAM chip, but wasn't sure if this could cause the BSODs I've been having.  It ONLY happens when I put the machine to sleep, and the machine runs perfectly in every other aspect (although has been a bit slow lately, hence the suspected bad RAM).

Any thoughts from the brilliant minds in here?

Thanks, 

Garrett

Saturday, November 6, 2010 8:25 PM

Answers

• Hi, you can collect dump files of BOSD:

Collect Minidump Files

=================

1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".

3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small memory dump (128KB)" option is selected.

4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small dump directory" open box and click “OK”.

If the Blue Screen appears again, please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".

3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Mini092008-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.

4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

You can also analyze them with Debugging Tools by yourself. You can install it and it’s Symbol Packages from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/Devtools/Debugging/default.mspx 

WinDbg will tell you the possible cause. For more information, please read Microsoft KB Article: How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging

If no clue can be found, you may contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS)

via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, November 15, 2010 1:13 AM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:13 AM
  • Thanks Leo!

Ive got a lot of work to do the next couple days, so I'll give this a shot over the weekend and see if maybe I cant get those dump files to write.  I will report back here once I get it done.

Thanks again!

Garrett

Thursday, November 11, 2010 7:03 AM

All replies

• Does the following MS KB article help any?:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974772

Saturday, November 6, 2010 8:46 PM
  • Yeah, tried that one too with no luck.
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 9:26 PM
  • I would suspect the problem is driver related.

Do you recall any change to the system that would coincide with the appearance of the problem such as installing new hardware or software?

Can you try a "clean boot" and see if the same problem occurs:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Follow Step 1 to clean boot and Step 7 to return to a normal startup.

Also, try disconnecting all peripherals except keyboard and mouse.

Sunday, November 7, 2010 12:11 AM
  • Only software that was installed were Windows Updates.  I will give the "clean boot" a shot in the AM, when I am more sober :)

Thanks for the help so far! :D

Sunday, November 7, 2010 2:53 AM
  • Hey All, 

Was just able to give the "clean boot" a shot with everything unhooked but monitors, keyboard and mouse and the issue is persisting - BSOD when I put the maching to sleep.  Still no minidump file being written, either.

Any other ideas?

Monday, November 8, 2010 6:44 PM
  • Hi,

Also you can try to login with Safe Mode to see if the same issue occurs.

Furthermore, you can perform a system store form a backup point for test.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 2:30 AM
  • Also, can you provide some more info on the computer?:

Start > type msinfo32 in the "Search programs and files" box and press "Enter" > File > Save > then save as an .nfo file

Then make the resulting .nfo file available via Windows Live SkyDrive.

The following link has more info on using Windows Live SkyDrive:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 2:55 AM
  • Hi All, 

Safe Mode isn't really a factor as this BSOD only occurs when I put the machine to sleep - I don't have a sleep option when in safe mode, so it's fine.  I did perform a System Restore a couple days ago,  once I started getting the BSOD regularly, to a point before the issue had ever come up.

Here is the link to the .nfo file.

http://cid-16b59eef148d8968.office.live.com/self.aspx/systemfiles/gratrockstar%5E_system.nfo

I swapped out all my RAM chips with brand new one today, so I can (hopefully) safely say that a bad RAM chip is off the list of suspects.

Thanks again to everybody!  This has been driving me crazy!

Garrett

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 4:20 AM
  • According to the .nfo file, minidump files are being written to the C:\Windows\Minidump folder.

On Nov. 5  Windows Error Reporting reported a Bluescreen and the following minidump file was created:

C:\Windows\Minidump\110510-39374-01

On Nov 4 Windows Error Reporting reported a Bluescreen (Fault bucket 0xA0_nt!PopEndMirroring+11f) and the following minidump file was created:

C:\Windows\Minidump\110410-23524-01.dmp

Can you double-check and see if those minidump files exist?

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 1:38 PM
  • Hi,

There is software you can use to run harwardware checks on your machine rather than just replacing it with fingers crossed. Its worth running these checks. Might be worth running a check on the hard disk again just to rule it out. Heres a page to help you run hardware tests. - http://www.mypchealth.co.uk/GuideTests.php

www.mypchealth.co.uk
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 2:43 PM
  • Hi Auggy, 

Just double checked and there are no files in C:\Windows\Minidump folder.  Are there any other logs that might be available that would help troubleshoot?

Thanks!

Garrett

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 5:45 PM
  • Thanks.  I ran memtest86 yesterday and had errors with 2 of my 4 RAM chips, so I replaced them all to have a matched set.  I will download this and run test on my hard drive as well.

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 5:46 PM
  • OK, ran the HDD test, everything checks out.  Where do I go from here?

Thanks, 

Garrett

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 7:40 PM
  • Hi All, 

Just finished running chkdsk on my drives as well.  They are all performing fine.  I will now attempt to upgrade any drivers I can.

Is there anywhere else any log files are being saved when the machine crashes?  Or should i just attempt to do a repair install of Windows 7?

Thanks, 

Garrett

Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:24 AM
  • Hi, you can collect dump files of BOSD:

Collect Minidump Files

=================

1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".

3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small memory dump (128KB)" option is selected.

4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small dump directory" open box and click “OK”.

If the Blue Screen appears again, please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".

3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Mini092008-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.

4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

You can also analyze them with Debugging Tools by yourself. You can install it and it’s Symbol Packages from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/Devtools/Debugging/default.mspx 

WinDbg will tell you the possible cause. For more information, please read Microsoft KB Article: How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging

If no clue can be found, you may contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS)

via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:13 AM
  • Hi Leo, 

Thanks.  Ive tried all this and the machine still will not write BSOD minidump files.  It will hit BSOD, I restart and check for the dump files, and the folder is empty.  So somehow the dump file is not being written.

Is there anything else I can check to try to get a dump file working on BSOD?

Thanks, 

Garrett

Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:25 AM
  • Hi,

I’m afraid there is no other way to collect dump files.

I suggest you trying to use an installation disk to repair your system:

1)    Please insert the Windows 7 DVD and reboot the computer.

2)    When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3)    Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

4)    Click Repair your computer.

5)    Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

6)    On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Hope it works.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:31 AM
  • Thanks Leo!

Ive got a lot of work to do the next couple days, so I'll give this a shot over the weekend and see if maybe I cant get those dump files to write.  I will report back here once I get it done.

Thanks again!

Garrett

Thursday, November 11, 2010 7:03 AM