Integrating Lync with CUCM 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am trying to integrate Lync 2010 with Call Manager 8.1. My setup is as below.

1. Lync 2010 single frontend server with all the roles. (Mediation also)

2. IP PBX and Call manager already configured and working as they are suppose to be.

3. CISCO Extensions 4 digit starting from 6XXX.

4. CUCM is made the gateway for Lync and is published.

Below are the things I want to achive.

1. Lync User should be able to Call CISCO Extension. (Achived but only if the extension doesnt have lync user assigned)

2. CISCO Client should be able to CISCO Client as well as Lync Client at the same time. Achived

3. Lync User should be able to Call CISCO Extension and LYNC Client at the same time. (Both Clients should ring) Not Working.

I have tried created a different extension number like 4XXX for Lync Client and testing the configuration but dint work. I have also gone through the white paper from microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26800 but couldnt resolve it.

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, August 7, 2011 11:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I think maybe it's because your scenario might seem a bit daunting ;)

What you are describing should all be possible, but it will depend on your normalisation rules and route patterns.

First of all, have you managed to make calls in and out of Lync at all? If you've made standard PSTN calling work, it should all be "a walk in the park"

For Lync clients to be able to call Cisco phones, I have the following proposal:

- Create normalisation rules for your internal calling (example: translate 4XXX to the full e.164 number, including the +

- Create a specific route for the numbers to CUCM, and apply a translation rule on the trunk. (as an alternative, send the entire e164 number to cucm, and take care of the translation there, if this is what you are comfortable with.)

- Make sure the SIP trunk incoming css can see the partitions where the internal extensions are.

Once the above has been achieved, you can move to Simring.

Simring is achieved on each client. Just go into call forward settings, and add the full e.164 number. (The call will then match the routes and rules you made above).

If you need some pointers, take a look at my blog, and look for the "Lync and CUCM posts". Should be easy enough to find.

Lasse Wedø,
    Blog:Tech@work, Twitter: @lawedo

Please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left if the post was helpful, or mark it as an answer if it resolved your issue.
    • Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sharon.Shen Sunday, August 14, 2011 11:34 AM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 8:56 AM
  • Hi,Ashish,

I agree with Lasse,it depends on your voice routing and translation rules.

Here is Lasse's blog and you will find more useful information in it.

http://tech.rundtomrundt.com/2010/11/microsoft-lync-server-2010-with-cucm-8.html

And also there is another article from Mark A King about Integrating Lync with CUCM for your reference(total 4 parts,just listed one).

http://blog.unplugthepbx.com/2011/02/21/integrating-microsoft-lync-and-cisco-unified-communication-manager-part-1-understanding-the-capabilities-and-terminology/

Regards,

Sharon

• Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:26 AM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:40 AM

All replies

• No Reply till now. Where are all the Lync Experts. Please let me know if anybody requires more information.

Cheers!

Monday, August 8, 2011 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

I think maybe it's because your scenario might seem a bit daunting ;)

What you are describing should all be possible, but it will depend on your normalisation rules and route patterns.

First of all, have you managed to make calls in and out of Lync at all? If you've made standard PSTN calling work, it should all be "a walk in the park"

For Lync clients to be able to call Cisco phones, I have the following proposal:

- Create normalisation rules for your internal calling (example: translate 4XXX to the full e.164 number, including the +

- Create a specific route for the numbers to CUCM, and apply a translation rule on the trunk. (as an alternative, send the entire e164 number to cucm, and take care of the translation there, if this is what you are comfortable with.)

- Make sure the SIP trunk incoming css can see the partitions where the internal extensions are.

Once the above has been achieved, you can move to Simring.

Simring is achieved on each client. Just go into call forward settings, and add the full e.164 number. (The call will then match the routes and rules you made above).

If you need some pointers, take a look at my blog, and look for the "Lync and CUCM posts". Should be easy enough to find.

Lasse Wedø,
    Blog:Tech@work, Twitter: @lawedo

Please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left if the post was helpful, or mark it as an answer if it resolved your issue.
    • Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:40 AM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 8:56 AM
  • Hi,Ashish,

I agree with Lasse,it depends on your voice routing and translation rules.

Here is Lasse's blog and you will find more useful information in it.

http://tech.rundtomrundt.com/2010/11/microsoft-lync-server-2010-with-cucm-8.html

And also there is another article from Mark A King about Integrating Lync with CUCM for your reference(total 4 parts,just listed one).

http://blog.unplugthepbx.com/2011/02/21/integrating-microsoft-lync-and-cisco-unified-communication-manager-part-1-understanding-the-capabilities-and-terminology/

Regards,

Sharon

• Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:26 AM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:40 AM