"Online cannot get role and feature data" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am stuck here. I have a 2012 Datacenter Server, which is a hypervisor. However i am stuck! I cannot poll the server for "Add features and roles". I cannot run DISM successfully, it hangs at 20% for a while, then says that the source files cannot be found. When I try to use an iso as the source, it still says the source files cannot be found.

I have ran sfc /scannow several times and it says it finds nothing, each time.

The CBS log says it find corrupt manifests, but why wouldn't the SFC utility switch those out?

I'm trying to avoid doing a repair installation here because this is a production server.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 6:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If possible, please check/install available Windows Update/Hotfix using system build-in Windows Update, it might be helpful for resolving some known issues and improving the performance.

As you had mentioned that, SFC runs with no problem/error. DISM runs failed with error – cannot found source.

If you can check/install update using system Windows Update, please try below command to check health:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

If it is repairable, using below command to repair it:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

If it failed, try to manually specify the source to have an repatriation - use a running Windows installation as the repair source, or use a Windows side-by-side folder from a network share or from a removable media, such as the Windows DVD, as the source of the files. Then, run below command instead:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:<source location>/LimitAccess

If problem persists, please provide me the screenshots of errors returned by above commands. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 7, 2017 8:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If possible, please check/install available Windows Update/Hotfix using system build-in Windows Update, it might be helpful for resolving some known issues and improving the performance.

As you had mentioned that, SFC runs with no problem/error. DISM runs failed with error – cannot found source.

If you can check/install update using system Windows Update, please try below command to check health:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

If it is repairable, using below command to repair it:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

If it failed, try to manually specify the source to have an repatriation - use a running Windows installation as the repair source, or use a Windows side-by-side folder from a network share or from a removable media, such as the Windows DVD, as the source of the files. Then, run below command instead:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:<source location>/LimitAccess

If problem persists, please provide me the screenshots of errors returned by above commands. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 7, 2017 8:44 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, September 22, 2017 1:53 AM