Driver Problem Encoutered RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone:
    I just bought a new computer yesterday and while loading for the first time (Windoe Vista 32bit) it gave me the following message regarding  Standard VGA Graphics Adapter  as follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Description

Problem signature

Files that help describe the problem

DMIC419.tmp.log.xml

LOGC496.tmp

display.inf
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any ideas what I can do to fix this problem?

Regards

Problem Event Name: PnPDeviceProblemCode

Architecture: x86

Hardware Id: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9612&SUBSYS_FF001179&REV_00

Setup class GUID: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

PnP problem code: 0000000A

Driver name: vgapnp.sys

Driver version: 6.0.6001.18000

Driver date: 01-21-2008

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code is 10.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Error code 10 is the default code that Device Manager generate when the Operating System can't determine which specific error code to return when a problem occurs. Regarding more information generated by Event Viewer, it is mainly due to display driver. I would like to propose the following suggestions.

1.   Contact your manufacturer to obtain the latest Windows Vista compatible drivers.

2.   Install the latest Windows Service Pack, please refer to the following website.

How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791  

3.   Use Windows Update to install the latest updates. To do this, please follow the website as follow.

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate  

Meanwhile, as you just bought this computer, it is recommended to return it to manufacturer for the whole check.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

well I believe the PnPDeviceProblemCode refers to Plug'n'Play.
    I suggest the monitor is the error source. Do you have another one to test with?

You can also try the GPU in another PC.
    But first I would test the monitor.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:05 AM
  • Well this is a laptop so I would be very concerned at this point if the problem is the monitor. Anyway I found a program called Driver Detective which detects missing or not updated drivers on your machine. I ran it and it found quite few some relating to the graphic card. I have applied the updates and although I'm not sure it did fixed the problem, I did notice improvment in visuals and sound as well. Is there a away to check if the problem is gone?

regards
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:21 AM
  • Hi, laptop, ok.

Well if the problen is gone, you cannot check it, unless it appears again.
    But you can take a look at the event viewer, if there are any PnP related notifications.

You should also keep all drivers up-to-date.

Are there any errors listed in the device manager?
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:00 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Error code 10 is the default code that Device Manager generate when the Operating System can't determine which specific error code to return when a problem occurs. Regarding more information generated by Event Viewer, it is mainly due to display driver. I would like to propose the following suggestions.

1.   Contact your manufacturer to obtain the latest Windows Vista compatible drivers.

2.   Install the latest Windows Service Pack, please refer to the following website.

How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791  

3.   Use Windows Update to install the latest updates. To do this, please follow the website as follow.

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate  

Meanwhile, as you just bought this computer, it is recommended to return it to manufacturer for the whole check.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:50 AM