none
Windows Server Print Management. Show only the printers a specific User is authorized to use.

Question

• We have a network with about 500 printers. We want to transition to Print Management. The team wants the following access behavior:

1) Add printers to the print manager

2) Set the authorized groups for the given printer

3) Choose the option to List the printer in the directory, this allows the user to see all available printers when adding a printer. It should not be necessary to "Promote the printer to Group Policy"

Problem:

When a User goes to "Add a Printer", they can see every printer in the Directory, whether they are authorized to use it or not. It does require them to enter a password, but this is not the desired behavior.

We don't want users having to navigate through 500 printers to add one or two, relevant to their department or location.

Please advise

Note: If you're going to tell me to use GP Management to accomplish this, then please provide an example. I believe the procedure for this simply adds relevant printers automatically, and doest show a list of available authorized printers

• Edited by mmurphy58 Wednesday, July 11, 2018 4:17 PM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 4:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

There is a guide for you.

Setting up Printers via Group Policy

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2015/02/03/step-by-step-setting-up-printers-via-group-policy/

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by mmurphy58 Wednesday, July 18, 2018 10:49 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by mmurphy58 Thursday, July 19, 2018 2:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by mmurphy58 Thursday, July 19, 2018 3:56 PM
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

Just check the situation about your issue.

Best Regards,
    Frank

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 13, 2018 10:22 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 10:02 AM
  • Im going to totally edit my response here. I replied before I tested this.

Following the link you provided, I was able to get the GPO created, and I was able to promote the printer to the GPO. I set myself as the only user that could access the printer. I used powershell to type in the gpupdate command, and I restarted the client.

When I logged in as myself, the printer was there. /when I logged in a s a test user, the printer was not there. This would be the expected behavior. However, when I logged back in as myself, and opened notepad, It would not print.

When I opened the print server, all of the printers that were present before, along with their drivers had suddenly vanished. This is a terrible bug.

None of the other printers were even published to a GPO they were simply listed in the AD printer directory. I quickly googled this and other folks have had this issue but not necessarily caused by the same steps.

I feel like I just took two steps backward

Update 7/19/2018

I read another post that indicated one solution might be to clear out any orphaned print jobs at c:\Windows\system32\spool\PRINTERS, and sure enough, when I deleted those files, I could again see all the printers in the Management Console. I will need to experiment with this a bit.

I tired it again and it seems to be working.
    • Edited by mmurphy58 Thursday, July 19, 2018 3:56 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2018 10:51 PM