none
How to configure to allow only project owner to edit the project? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I am facing a problem where I want that only the owner of project shall be able to edit the project and rest others which belong to same project managers group shall only be able to view it.Like for example  there is one user "sam" who is owner of project "abc" and belongs to group of project managers and Project manager group belongs to category which has the permission to edit the specific projects including  project "abc".

Note:There are specific 4 or 5 projects to which this category has access.

Now there are other users also in Project managers group which can also edit those 5 projects.what I want is whosoever is the owner of that project should be able to edit the project and rest of them shall only be able to view them.

Any idea how this can be implemented?

Monday, April 11, 2016 2:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

please check, if the user gets save permissions from another category. In Project Online, you can use what I wrote:
    Server Settings - Manage Users and click Check effective rights. Select Project, choose a project he should not be allowed to edit, and see where this permission comes from.

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

• Marked as answer by anuj astro Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:32 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 6:58 AM

All replies

• Hi everyone,

I am facing a problem where I want that only the owner of project shall be able to edit the project and rest others which belong to same project managers group shall only be able to view it.Like for example  there is one user "sam" who is owner of project "abc" and belongs to group of project managers and Project manager group belongs to category which has the permission to edit the specific projects including  project "abc".

Note:There are specific 4 or 5 projects to which this category has access.

Now there are other users also in Project managers group which can also edit those 5 projects.what I want is whosoever is the owner of that project should be able to edit the project and rest of them shall only be able to view them.

Any idea how this can be implemented?

Monday, April 11, 2016 2:29 PM
  • Hi,

the same people are responding to both forums, so I merged your question.

You are not mentioning the version. Default settings are different between different versions. Moreover, I am not sure what was already changed compared to default settings.

Just check, if category "My Projects" has two check boxes enabled: "The User is the Project Owner or the User is the Status Manager on assignments within that Project", which is fine and "The User is on that project's Project Team", which may be checked. If so, just remove check mark of the latter. Does that already help?

If not, and you are working with 2013, select user in Server Settings - Manage Users and click Check effective rights. Select Project, choose a project he should not be allowed to edit, and see where thhis permission comes from.

If both suggestions do not help, let us know. We will ask more question for background information.

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Monday, April 11, 2016 2:46 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thanks a lot for your response.Just want to confirm if we don't want any user to have to have edit permission on project then we have to deselect the check box "Save Project to Project Server"    or is there any other permission also that we have to revoke ?

because in my case I have deselected the check box "Save Project to Project Server""but still user sees the option for editing the project in Browser and project professional.

Not sure what others permission do i need to remove.

Monday, April 11, 2016 6:03 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thanks a lot for your response.Just want to confirm if we don't want any user to have to have edit permission on project then we have to deselect the check box "Save Project to Project Server"    or is there any other permission also that we have to revoke ?

because in my case I have deselected the check box "Save Project to Project Server""but still user sees the option for editing the project in Browser and project professional.

Not sure what others permission do i need to remove.

Monday, April 11, 2016 6:03 PM
  • I am working on Project Server online version
    Monday, April 11, 2016 6:06 PM
  • Hi,

please check, if the user gets save permissions from another category. In Project Online, you can use what I wrote:
    Server Settings - Manage Users and click Check effective rights. Select Project, choose a project he should not be allowed to edit, and see where this permission comes from.

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by anuj astro Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:32 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 6:58 AM
  • Thanks Barbara,

I was able to track that permission through Check effective rights option

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:33 AM