How to hide space used/free on network drives RRS feed

• Question

• In windows 7 when looking at drives from the computer level, users see the free space of mapped drives. how can i turn it off so they dont see "red bars" or any disk space indicators?

it is annoying. we are dealing with such huge drives and the users dont have control over them anyway.  I dont need secretaries telling me my server drives are out of space when I have hundreds of gigabytes free.

is there a way to disable this component of the interface and alleviate helpdesk call volume?

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 9:00 PM

Answers

• There is a policy that disables the low disk space check, that may also stop the bar from turning red. I haven't tried it but at least as a policy it would be easy to roll out.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\
    Policies\ Explorer

This link shows how to set it manually, it should be fine for testing.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvista/ht/dislowdisk.htm

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, February 16, 2012 12:57 AM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:49 AM

All replies

• You can change your view to List or small icons.  Will just show the drive then.
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  hopefully there is a way to disable it in the interface completely, because that view is the default and I would like to disable it for 1500 seats, and let them see their drive space on their local drives.

again, thanks for the workaround in the event nobody can give me a hack for disabling/hiding it on network drives.

Mike

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 9:25 PM
  • There is a policy that disables the low disk space check, that may also stop the bar from turning red. I haven't tried it but at least as a policy it would be easy to roll out.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\
    Policies\ Explorer

This link shows how to set it manually, it should be fine for testing.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvista/ht/dislowdisk.htm

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, February 16, 2012 12:57 AM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:49 AM
  • Here a solution from another user (on another forum) which worked for me (also confirmed working for Windows 8)

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/23665-low-disc-space-partition-color-3.html

QUOTE: jonaska: You can actually remove the colorbar completely quite easy.

1. Run REGEDIT as administrator
    2. Open HKLM\Software\Classes\Drive
    3. Change the value for the key TileInfo. Remove the phrase "System.PercentFull;"
    The key should read the following:
    Before: prop:*System.PercentFull;System.Computer.DecoratedFreeSpace;System.Volume.FileSystem
    After: prop:*System.Computer.DecoratedFreeSpace;System.Volume.FileSystem
    4. Restart windows explorer (open task manager, and kill the process explorer.exe, choose File, Run and type in explorer.exe)
    5. Now open Computer to see the absense of the colorbars

Note: This method does not disable the warning which occurs when free space falls below 10%. It does only remove the anoying red bars.
    • Edited by ThaTrunks Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:37 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Damjanc Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:46 PM
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:37 AM