In Place Upgrade AD RMS Windows Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Currently my AD RMS running on top Windows 2008 R2 SP1 and also there's a SQL 2008 in it. Is it possible to do an in place upgrade to AD RMS Windows Server 2012 ? Anyone try it ?

So I want to upgrade the OS to Windows Server 2012, is it also will upgrade AD RMS ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Krisna Ismayanto | My blogs: Krisna Ismayanto | Twitter: @ikrisna

Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Krisna,

thank you for posting here.

I am not sure if SQL Server 2008 is running and/or supported on Windows 2012.

If you have your databases on a remote SQL Server, Windows 2012 will do a in-place upgrade.

If you use RMS with the Windows Internal Database (WID) then you have to uninstall the RMS role, back up the WID databases  and then you can do the upgrade.

Hope that helps,

Lutz

Saturday, September 22, 2012 12:48 AM
  • Hi Lutsz,

- I'm in a migration process where they have windows 2008 r2 and need to migrate to Windows Server 2012. Will you have some manual migration about that?

- What do you recommend if you need to migrate to new Windows server without performing a system upgrade?

- What would happen with the documents that are protected with AD RMS current cluster if I migrated to a new infrastructure with a different URL?

Best regards

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:57 AM
  • Hi,

let me answer your last question first.

NETHER CHANGE the URL, because the URL is embedded in every protected document. So if you have RMS document distributed widely, even to external recipients, user cannot open the files anymore. You can think about making the RMS available with both URLs, but at the end you will never get rid of the old URL. If you plan the URL name change because of going from a pilot into production, or from test to production then you might want make sure that your user communications is clear.

I will answer the other questions in a later reply.

Regards,

Lutz

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:12 PM
  • Hi,

I have experience of changing external content addresses AD RMS, it is enough to make a DNS entry with a new name, to reissue the certificate, install it on IIS, if you use ssl. Can now changed in ad rms external cluster name.
    it is not desirable to change internal name of the cluster :)

migrate ad rms cluster can be as follows:
    Add to an existing cluster ad rms on windows server 2008 r2, ad rms nodes on windows server 2012, then the nodes on windows server 2008 r2 remove (because they no longer work in a cluster ad rms on windows server 2012 as the rise version ad rms dll libraries), do not forget the NLB cluster!

Regards,

Alexey

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:38 AM
  • Hi Alexey,

the URL name change is made very easily, you are right. But it does not change the fact that the URL is embedded/injected into each RMS protected document at the time a user or service decides to add RMS protection to the file. RMS has a internal URL and a external URL, but not every software supports the external URL. And on the other hand I can address internal/external RMS servers also using a split DNS brain setup instead of using two different URLs.

Regards,

Lutz

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 10:25 AM